Stock crank

Dewey

Resident Smartass
How much punishment can the stock crank take? Mine is all std. with all stock bottom except for ARP main studs and rods bolts. Car is 99% street driven, but with the alky I feel she should turn mid 11s.

High 9's easy.

It's a hard question, but if the tune is right on the car they will take alot of abuse.

Good Luck

I've got a std. crank and over 600 passes on my motor from mid 11's to mid 10's so far, hope to pack another 200 or so on this year before I pull it to freshen it(and go forged crank/rods :) )

Steve

Sounds good. I was a little concerned since I was turning the wick up a little and heard about these crank's tendency to flex. Thanks guys.

The block and caps will fail before the crank without a girdle in place. Unless you detonate it. Anything could happen with detonation. If a stock crank breaks it usually has been heated by a bad rod bearing which changes the metallurgy or grabs the journal and it simply snaps the crank off.

A certain TSM vehicle has been 9.60@140 with a stock crank and iron heads. Girdled motor...

It's all in the tune...