You can type here any text you want

Stock heads vs champ irons for small cam/turbo combo

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

deezdad

Obviously Champion irons are superior, but is there a scenario stock heads would benefit a combo more? Say stock to 200/200 cam & 49/44 turbo running 93 & alky with goal of mid 11's.. Would ported heads hurt low end performance on the street?

Obviously Champion irons are superior, but is there a scenario stock heads would benefit a combo more? Say stock to 200/200 cam & 49/44 turbo running 93 & alky with goal of mid 11's.. Would ported heads hurt low end performance on the street?
Yes when you have an 11 sec goal and don't need or can't put ported heads on the car;)I wouldn't open up the motor for mid 11s.

Ported irons are great on the street if done right and have very good port velocity but with your goals with the combo on point you don't need them

Ported irons are great on the street if done right and have very good port velocity but with your goals with the combo on point you don't need them
Motor was rebuilt close to stock specs back in 2005 using a speed pro 194/204 ft cam and champ irons, it has sat all this time and is now on a stand with top end disassembled for regasketing with better parts and methods, at this point I considered doing a 206/206 roller cam to help the heads flow but am gonna leave it be, being a stickler for a well matched combo these days now I'm wondering if stock heads would be a better match considering I'm staying with 194/204 cam & bb te44 with tight lock up converter.[/QUOTE]

Motor was rebuilt close to stock specs back in 2005 using a speed pro 194/204 ft cam and champ irons, it has sat all this time and is now on a stand with top end disassembled for regasketing with better parts and methods, at this point I considered doing a 206/206 roller cam to help the heads flow but am gonna leave it be, being a stickler for a well matched combo these days now I'm wondering if stock heads would be a better match considering I'm staying with 194/204 cam & bb te44 with tight lock up converter.
[/QUOTE]
I haven't seen any downsides to champion iron head,since you have them run them the 44 will have a hard time making boost but your max power will be at the lower boost level that's all.converter is a big deal with the limited rpm range you will be dealing with.

206/206 roller would benefit from the champ heads. Some stall in the converter and the 44 would rock. Maybe even a 6262.

Back