You can type here any text you want

Stock HG's on GN1 Aluminum Heads

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

tta1401

I have a set of stock HG's (Victor-Reinz) that I bought to do a rebuild and since then I went in a totally new direction $$$$. I always had luck with the stockers and I would like to use them but I just wanted to make sure I could now that I have the GN1's. I don't want to use the "bullet proof" HG's because it's all in the tune, right? A HG to me is just a 'fuse' for the motor so you don't do further detrimental damage, which you still could.

I use the Fel-Pro 9441 pt stock replacement head gaskets with my GN1 aluminum heads. So i would use the stock gaskets if that was what i had available and didn't want to buy the Fel-Pros,they should be fine.

You really want to use the 1026 Felpro's wih the Alum. heads as they Pre flattened COPPER wire and wont damage the Alum heads..

Stock head gaskets work fine. (along with aftermarket versions EXCEPT ROL) Keep with you have. Either use stock head gaskets or Cometic. That is as long as you have a decked block. The stock machining on the block will NOT work with Cometic gaskets. Stick with stock style gaskets on a factory deck surface. I prefere the Cometics IF and only IF the block has been machined smoother.

1026 Fel-Pro need to have the paper trimmed to replicate the factory gasket to increase clamping force on the intake side. I use to run them 20 years ago and they didn't work well. After trimming the paper off of the gasket to replicate the stock gasket, they worked "OK". I haven't used them in years. though.

Technically it is not recomended to use a steel ring style head gasket with aluminum heads. When two dissimular metals are in contact, a galvanic action takes place. The weaker metal (aluminumn) becomes the "sacrifical metal" and corrodes. You are going to get this galvanic action sooner than you think, for aluminum heads you want to use a head gasket with a softer or preflattened fire ring so the head does not "brinnel"
Get a deep impression in the deck surface from the gasket fire ring.

Back