You can type here any text you want

Stock MAF sensor vs LT1 and translator upgrade

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Turbo Keith

TURBO KEITH
Hello all , Can some one explain why this works and adds HP , the upgrades to my car from stock is in my signature plus I just upgraded to a TA49 turbo , 60 lbs injectors and a front mount . Thanks Keithj

More than anything else it's more of a reliability upgrade imo with the added benefits of better throttle response, idle, faster spool, etc.

More than anything else it's more of a reliability upgrade imo with the added benefits of better throttle response, idle, faster spool, etc.

It also has the ability to add or subtract fuel at both idle and wot. I'm running an LS1 MAF on mine.

You can search some posts on the topic by turbodave too, I remember him going into this stuff in detail.

The reason the upgrade is better is because the stock MAF's are flakey pieces of shit that have the power to really screw up an otherwise good running car. If you go back in time and buy a GM unit back when these cars were still under warranty, you'd be close. That piece of horizontal film doing the reading is compromised as soon as you change the nut holding down the filter, much less instal a K&N or a CAI or a MAF pipe. Calibration goes right out the window.

Back in the early 2000's when parts store MAFs were the only option, the rule was ''12''. As in 'it usually takes 12 sensors before one runs right''... In my case it took exactly 12 tries to make it run right.... Then I got a translator and an LS1 sensor just to learn it runs right NOW.

The LT1/LS1 style MAFs use a sensor that doesn't run parallel with the airflow. It's sheer shape helps keep it cleaner than a stock style from crud and overoiling K&N filters. The Translator coupled with an Extender chip can double the amount of controlled airflow readings too. Once the computer sees 255 it has to basically guess on fueling, the Translator can double that before having to guess.

Moral of the story, stock sensors are crap and can't be trusted.

Back in the 90's. I went through a bunch of store bought maf sensors. They would not last long at all. Then i learned of a new product called, Maf Translator that would allow me to use a new more modern 3'' maf sensor ( LT1 ). I could not order it fast enough. When i git and installed it, the engine never ran so good and best of all it was reliable.I ran that for around 6 years. Then i learned about the new Maf translator pro, which would allow the engine to run in speed density and get rid of a maf sensor completely.That was over 10 years ago. The engine idles great and runs great,part throttle,mid throttle, or WOT, The car will go from point a to point b as fast as i can go without any hesitation or issues at all.. I use this with an Extender Extreme Pro chip from Bob Bailey. I will never change a thing,it just plain works so good.

A maf translator is the way to go no matter what version you buy. You won't regret doing it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help guys , I will be picking one up soon .
Aside from all the benefits from better fueling control and the adjustable features the upgraded
mass air flow meters can do a much better job of letting your turbo inhale the air easier meaning it will make a given
amount of boost easier which usually means you can run at slightly higher boost setting
and we all know what happens when we can run more boost,,,,,we have more fun...right?

Picture having a milkshake with a small straw verses a large straw and you can get the idea.
Anything you can do to get the air in or out of your engine easier will let you make more power.

Back in the day we were pretty much done with a stock modified mass air meter when you
made enough power to run about 132-134 mph. And that was only if you were in good
with whoever was making your chips as it would take many iterations to get to that point.

I really have no idea where the limits are today with the newer MAF sensor upgrades
as I went to a fast system but I bet its a good bit more than the 132-134 we were stuck at.

Aside from all the benefits from better fueling control and the adjustable features the upgraded
mass air flow meters can do a much better job of letting your turbo inhale the air easier meaning it will make a given
amount of boost easier which usually means you can run at slightly higher boost setting
and we all know what happens when we can run more boost,,,,,we have more fun...right?

Picture having a milkshake with a small straw verses a large straw and you can get the idea.
Anything you can do to get the air in or out of your engine easier will let you make more power.

Back in the day we were pretty much done with a stock modified mass air meter when you
made enough power to run about 132-134 mph. And that was only if you were in good
with whoever was making your chips as it would take many iterations to get to that point.

I really have no idea where the limits are today with the newer MAF sensor upgrades
as I went to a fast system but I bet its a good bit more than the 132-134 we were stuck at.
Hey thanks guys , I will be going with the upgrade soon and really looking forward to the new fun

You could go more but the restriction is so great you are building around it. Car will run 9.90 but it should be running 9.20.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could go more but the restriction is so great you are building around it. Car will run 9.90 but it should be running 9.20.

Hey Bison , Explain to me what you mean in that post please , I'm not understanding , Thanks Keith

The drive pressure will be way up to make the same manifold pressure. The entire combo will be built around the MAF limitation.

Back