Stock or upgrade?

gidyuppp

I have an 86 GN a couple weeks away from total restoration. Now for some new engine parts. My goals are a 12.5-12.9 1/4 mile car, although I have no intentions of racing at the track I do want to spank Mustangs. I want to replace my stock Turbo (72k miles) with a new Turbo. Question is do I upgrade the Turbo or buy a new or rebuilt (with warranty) stock? I also want a TT Chip but need to have some questions answered first. The seller of the car had very little history so I do not know if there were Cam or injector upgrades. I do not believe the cam was changed so what is the info I need for a stock cam for a TT chip order (my ignorance has no clue on the cam 206/206, 218/218)? Also, how do I look for the injector size? Can the injectors be pulled pretty easy? I do believe stock was 28# and my guess would be these are stock. If so, should I slightly modify the injectors, if so, to what for my goals?

My current upgrades are 3 inch downpipe with no cat. 3 inch dual exhaust all the way back, and cold air intake. I just ordered a Kirban AFPR cuz mine is leaking. Hopefully I provided enough info. Car is still at body shop and I cant do pictures real easy. Thanks a lot. I have had the car for 4 months and three of them in the body shop, and two weeks for tranny rebuild and new suspension. Im dying to get my hands dirty. I have had 3 months of great reading and feedback here. This site is amazing. Thanks

You can get into the 12 range you want with the stock turbo easily. Your injectors will have numbers on the sides, post them and anything else they have printed on them and someone will be able to tell you what pound the are. For you goals i'd go with 42 LB injectors and get the TT chip. Give eric all your cars info and he will make the chip just for that, he sells injectors also!

Good luck

If I needed a new turbo I would buy one a bit larger than stock such as the TE-44 or, if you want the car to look original, a TA-49. If your turbo is good and the car is new to you I would not replace it, but if you need to replace I would upgrade.

One big thing to remember. It is all in the tune! The performance parts you throw on it mean nothing unless you have a good tune.

Thanks for the feedback thus far. I was told the turbo has seen its better days. Had some light smoke from time to time and supposedly ruled out other options. When the car gets back from paint/body work I will take the turbo off and look at it or have it looked at. The car is gonna be new looking and I have a little cash left so figure I will upgrade/replace what I can now. When it does go in the future I may be out of cash. The car is going to be tuned at aggressive auto in Roseville. From the GN folks here in Michigan I am told this is the place to go for everything the Turbo 6 needs. I want to have everything in order (injectors, turbo if needed, DS header crack TIG welded) before I go for the tune.

I have read a bunch on cam sensors. How important is that for me?

Make sure you have an upgraded fuel pump and a hot wire. Go with the TE-44 turbo. You won't be disappointed.