You can type here any text you want

Stock size front tires. Which brand?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

HighMileage

Albany,NY
It's time for new tires on the front of my GN. The Goodyear Eagles are old with half of even tread left. One of them has a slightly shifted belt which shakes.

What are my choices for the 215-65-15 size? I don't want Chinese tires.

Most I see are All Seasons. My car never sees rain.

I don't need high mileage tires,either.

I'd prefer a sport type of tread pattern. Directional,perhaps.

I don't want Cooper Cobras. I've got them on 3 of my other cars. Not having good luck there.

Any suggestions?

Good luck finding anything in stock size.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Good luck finding anything in stock size.

Yeah,I'm finding that out.

Either I can get 80,000mi "All-Season Touring" tires that aren't really what I'm looking for.

...or Chinese MayPops. ("may pop") at any time. :confused:

Yeah, cookies get you what ever you search for.
I've seen nexen around town. I was thinking of that brand for my dd truck.

Last edited:
Two years ago my tire guy found me Firestone Indy wide ovals- stock, maybe they still can be found?
I know the traction TAs on my other car are discontinued.

I did alot of research on this and I went with the Michelin Defenders. All season rated for 90,000 miles and speed rating T I think. Was told by multiple shops that quality wise they are the best in that size. At 120+ at the track I wasn't going to compromise. Other tires in the stock size are not rated for that speed. Because of this they wern't cheep, I think about $170 each.

I saw the Defenders online and at my local Mavis tire shop. They did seem pricey,but price over a tire is sort if like splitting hairs considering how many years it will be on the car.

My concern with the Defenders is that they are a very high mile tire which means a hard compound. Hard compounds tend to not grip well. I don't want to be squealing around corners.

I had a set of Michelin X's on one of my other cars. They lasted for many miles. Someone one told me that the more Michelins wear,the harder they get. That just might be true. Once they got under 1/2 tread,they stayed like that.

Firestones?? Bought 4 for one of my other cars. Returned them a few weeks later due to shifted belts. They fought me tooth and nail on the return,too. The rep had to come in and watch them on a balancer.

I'm still on the fence. Leaning towards the Nexens,but still looking.

I appreciate everyone's input.

yer too fussy! yer gettin' paralysis by analysis again...............:)

HA! I should just quit screwing around and get the GNX wheels I want instead of throwing new tires on the wheels I plan on replacing.

Ahh.. Paralysis again... :)

House hunting,too. But that's another paralysis story!

the house out by the beginning of my road is for sale - asking 175K! :eek:

Multi-family with huge garage??

Looking to have a rental.

...and trying not to just let my car sit while I take care of biz.

I think all 3 house's(1 duplex), a garage, and the barn are for sale. With a little work the barn can hold a dozen cars - the houses - 3 rental units.
Please don't throw me out or raise my rent! ;)

I saw the Defenders online and at my local Mavis tire shop. They did seem pricey,but price over a tire is sort if like splitting hairs considering how many years it will be on the car.

My concern with the Defenders is that they are a very high mile tire which means a hard compound. Hard compounds tend to not grip well. I don't want to be squealing around corners.

I had a set of Michelin X's on one of my other cars. They lasted for many miles. Someone one told me that the more Michelins wear,the harder they get. That just might be true. Once they got under 1/2 tread,they stayed like that.

Firestones?? Bought 4 for one of my other cars. Returned them a few weeks later due to shifted belts. They fought me tooth and nail on the return,too. The rep had to come in and watch them on a balancer.

I'm still on the fence. Leaning towards the Nexens,but still looking.

I appreciate everyone's input.
Are you using them on all 4? I only use them on the front with MT ET's on the rear and maybe put a 1000 miles a year on them. When I bought the car it had the X's on there but the car was sitting for 2 years and the sidewalls were dryrot. Most tires that size are only S rated 110mph. I exceed that easily on the track so I wanted something at least T rated 128mph I think

In response to the recent replies:

According to the BFG site,the only tire avail in stock 215/65-15 size is the ancient Radial T/A. Maybe they don't make the sport comp 2 in that size anymore?

I'm looking for tires for the front only. I have Nitto 275/50-15's on the back. (which don't grip worth a sh*t) I think that's the size. ...but this post is for the front.

As far as speed rating... I completely understand the want for a speed rated tire at the end of the 1/4mi. But my question would then be.. Is it needed for the short time that the speed rating is exceeded? It's not like you are generating lots of heat. But then there IS a centrifugal force issue...

My time after four tries is a 12.8 @ 109mph with a horrible 2.4 60'ft. Yeah,the turbo is too big for the stock converter,but there is a tranny and converter change in the works.

My car is not a track car but will see the track now and then.

Still tire shopping..

I thought about this also, exceeding the rating for a second or so X amount of passes vs exceeding on the road for extended period or if you hit say 150. For the price difference it was not worth the gamble.

You would like 15" would be easier to find than trying to find a set of tires for 16"

Attachments

• 11-01-09_1515.jpg
    11-01-09_1515.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 68
Back