Stolen car Re-Vin in NYS?

87we410877

Hey,

I just bought a limited Turbo T and the vin tag, Trunk tag, cowl tag are gone and it has a New York State re-vin. I was told that in NYS they re-vin the car if it is stolen and recovered. The car was stolen in 1990 and when recovered re-vinned according to the gentleman who sold me the car.

Can anyone elaborate on this or give me some info? How can i run a Car Fax? Numbers off the motor or tranny? Where else can i look?

Its a great clean straight car so i am really not too concerned but would like to know 100% what im dealing with.

I had re-vin done
to me in fl
The new vin was placed in the jam
I was told all info from the car would now be from the date the new vin was issued only
Past info is nolonger valid
Sarasota county sheriff's department

I had re-vin done
to me in fl
The new vin was placed in the jam
I was told all info from the car would now be from the date the new vin was issued only
Past info is nolonger valid
Sarasota county sheriff's department

Yea the new vin is on the door and reflected on the title. Why on earth they would do that is beyond me. I hope i can find the original VIN and possibly reproduce a trunk sticker and cowl tag with paint codes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Heres the car. Needs some fillers but otherwise SWeeetttt

Attachments

• IMG_0030.JPG
    IMG_0030.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 163
  • IMG_0031.JPG
    IMG_0031.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 164
  • IMG_0076.JPG
    IMG_0076.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 165
From some of the pics
Under hood stickers missing
Id say who ever had stolen the car removed all id marking and numbers not nypd

Assuming the drivetrain is untouched, original, the last six numbers of the VIN it was born with should be stamped on each.

Assuming the drivetrain is untouched, original, the last six numbers of the VIN it was born with should be stamped on each.
Stamped where?
I could never find the locations for the last 6 VIN stamps anywhere?

On the transmission, locate the flat rectangular pad near the rear of the pan rail. In this photo, it's about 5-6 inches behind the blue electrical connector, aligned with the whitewall on the tire.

3-22-09-48.JPG

For the engine, look at this pic.

109-block-partial-vin-jpg.182645

I have a GN with a ny vin title status clean and I seen some gns with my vins for the same price as regular GN no difference

On the transmission, locate the flat rectangular pad near the rear of the pan rail. In this photo, it's about 5-6 inches behind the blue electrical connector, aligned with the whitewall on the tire.

3-22-09-48.JPG

For the engine, look at this pic.

109-block-partial-vin-jpg.182645
Where did you get that block and trans.Are you holding out on us and not telling about your secret stash.

The Vin is stamped on the top of the right side frame rail. Its a bitch to see with the body on . It not to far away from the first body mount bolt. If you can get up there with sand paper you can clean it off and then use a mirror to see the Vin. good luck
Another thing is the value the insurance company will pay out if totaled.
A friend of mine went through this with state farm. Was a stolen recovery when he bought it at an auction. His wife totaled the car and they wanted to give him 4k for the car and it was clean. They would not give him agreed value insurance on the car because of the title status. He paid 8k for the car from the auction. The tag in the door has to stay. cant reuse the old Vin . Trust me the police knew the original Vin number off that car but they cant get original Vin tags repoped.
I use to watch the state police auto theft division come and inspect cars. We had a Tahoe with 9 different Vin numbers on it. I have seen reprinted door tags where the thieves spelled Vehicle with a k instead of a c.

Last edited:
If the rear seat was never removed the there should be a sheet stapled to the back seat cushion, it will have the original VIN on it, also there should be one on the back side of one of the door panels, but I would try the back seat first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the rear seat was never removed the there should be a sheet stapled to the back seat cushion, it will have the original VIN on it, also there should be one on the back side of one of the door panels, but I would try the back seat first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good info!

I got the numbers off the block and Tranny and they match.

VIN # = 1G4GJ1174HP419638

I typed it into car fax and it says it doesn't exist. How can i find out info on the car before the Re-vin? Any help would be great. I want all and any info i can get so i dont have a problem with the re-sell.

Thanks!