STUMBLE PROBLEM FIXED !

klmnla

Watson LA
After refusing to accept that my cam may be worn, I finally replaced it and the lifters after 4 years of troubleshooting and parts swapping. On the bright side, I have some good spare parts now. While I had it apart, I also had a blown PS head gasket, probably a result of all the popping and missing that resulted while trying to fix it. I also had 2 of the 4 ground wires loose on the back side of the PS head. The old cam had the fifth lobe from the front completely rounded off. I now have added ZDDP to my new oil needless to say. I put the old cam sensor cap back on, and set it with the caspers tool. Runs smooth, no missing through the RPM Range. I only saw .2 KR on one run, but seems to be running much better. Im at 15lbs of boost right now, and dont plan on going over about 17psi at some point. Fuel pressure is great, blms good, TPS and IAC all good. After taking this thing down to the bare block twice while still in the car, I have learned alot about this car and back pain.

Good job of not giving up, you should have tons more power with it making compression on all 6 cylinders.

Chuck

So after taking the engine down to the bare block twice. Is that when you decided to pull it and take it to a machine shop to have them clean out all those metal shavings from the cam lobe that was rounded off? I read your post a couple of times but i didn't see it mentioned when you did that.

If you didn't do that and just replaced the cam and lifters be prepared for some more back pain when you have to do it all over again.

So after taking the engine down to the bare block twice. Is that when you decided to pull it and take it to a machine shop to have them clean out all those metal shavings from the cam lobe that was rounded off? I read your post a couple of times but i didn't see it mentioned when you did that.

If you didn't do that and just replaced the cam and lifters be prepared for some more back pain when you have to do it all over again.

I was wondering the same thing....I had this happen to my motor and when I disassembled it the pistons would hardly pivot on the wrist pins....

Im sure in the future I will have to replace the entire engine. I wanted to get it running right and try to enjoy it for a while. Im working in the back yard under the boat port, so dont have any shop space to pull the engine. One day I will get a rebuilt short block and do a swap out.

Im sure in the future I will have to replace the entire engine. I wanted to get it running right and try to enjoy it for a while. Im working in the back yard under the boat port, so dont have any shop space to pull the engine. One day I will get a rebuilt short block and do a swap out.
Good luck hope it lasts awhile for ya!!