You can type here any text you want

Suggestions needed on speaker upgrade for GN...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Pats-GN

I just want to upgrade the factory speakers, they sound really bad. I've got a new JVC deck and want to go from there. Will the deck be enough to push new speakers for decent sound or will I need an amp? I've found Alpine 3 1/2's with bass blockers, Kicker 4x10's, havent commited yet. I've got some 5 1/4 pioneers in the doors and they sound awfull. I'm on a budget so anyone got any suggestions? I'm sure this same question has been asked a dozen times:rolleyes: .

thanks

Chances are the deck will push the 3.5s.
How many watts output continous (RMS) is it?
The 4x10s will be okay with the deck also if the output is good.
But, dont expect them to shake the car with their bass output. You might want to look at some 6x9s with adapting brackets to put in place of the 4x10s.

You have 5.25s in the doors? Concert sound setup? If thats the case, then I would suggest ditching the dash speakers and replacing the 5.25s with some nice 2 way speakers.
You cant run dash, door, and rear speakers all off of the JVC without some fancy wiring. The deck ideally should see 4 ohms at each speaker output. More ohms will sound bad and waste power. Less resistance will hurt the amp in the JVC.
Ask yourself...
What do you want from your system?
How much do you want to spend?
Do you want to replace it all at once, or piece by piece as you can afford to upgrade?
My suggestion is this:
Get some good 2way speakers for the doors, some 6x9s with adapters for the rear, and let the deck power it. However, in the future you can always add an amp to the system. If you are thinking about an amp, make sure your speakers will take a lot of watts continously and match your amps output with the ratings of the speakers.

Thanks, yes I have Concert sound with the 5 1/4 now. I have installed some pioneer 2-ways in the door. I picked up a small Legacy amp, 240watt max I think, its 2-channel. Should I just pick up some 4x10's or 6x9's and run them and the 5 1/4 off the amp, and forget the 3.5's? Is a 2-way the best bet for the door speakers? I want clear sound, something similar to the new model GM sound systems. Any suggestions appreciated.

pat

You need to look at the RMS watts rating on that amp, 240 watts peak is pretty much worthless info.... just a gimmick used to hype up the power levels of the equipment.

I'm running Pioneer 3.5"s in the dash & Cerwin Vega Stealth series speakers in the doors (5.25") and rear deck (6x9") with a bandpass/amp/10" combo from EarthQuake in the trunk routed through a Pioneer Premier deck. Sounds dang good for a low buck "budget" system & the head unit (I forget the model# will post later) has a ton of great features for the money. Very comparable to the best factory systems available right now even before taking the sub into account. :)

Doug C.

Back