Suggestions on specing out a motor build

jess70502

Hey guys I'm looking for suggestions on a motor build. I'm probably going to go with ta intimidator heads and champion intake. I already have a built 200r4, -8 feed -6 return on e85 running a single 430. Will probably upgrade that to a double 340 with a Hobbs switch. Also have a presison front mount. My question is what turbo, cam and torque converter would be best for a weekend cruiser with great power and moderate street manners. Stroker vs non, do's and donts. Any info would be greatly appreciated thanks guys

Last edited:
You are making a big investment. What is your goal? (i.e. HP=500, 600, etc./ no turbo lag, etc.)
However, for the basics, I would recommend a good builder, girdle, stroker,(can't beat cu. in.) and fuel management for longevity. Your goals will determine the turbo, cam, etc.

Depending on what you consider "streetable". Does a lumpy idle bother you much? It doesn't bother me.

Is money an issue? It usually is. But if it's not........

I'm happy with what I have done so I can't recommend anything less. I would say have the long block built by a good known reputable Buick engine builder. Then tell him you want it to be able to make and handle about 800 horsepower. Let him take it from there. He should know it's going to need to be girdled, stroked, big cam, more cubes, big heads, etc.

Then accessorize to your liking / horsepower goal. Most of what makes it streetable is outside the motor. As long as it doesn't have a solid roller in it, as far as I'm concerned, it could be made to respond and run reliably on the street.

More power the better! Honestly somewhere around 800hp would be the goal. I was definitely going to go girdled. I noticed precision came out with a new(ish) line of turbos. I'm eyeing the 6466 CEA. I did a search on here and didn't find much info on it. But I guess I'm just worried about the little things, like the down pipe. Right now I have a 3 inch and to do it right I'm thinking I should go at least to a 3.5 inch. then what housing to get 3 bolt or 4 bolt, .63 or .85, V-band or bolt style, internal or external. Arg I just don't know. Probably later on I'll invest in a XFI setup.

You can save alittle money and keep the stock intake and just port it. A stock ported intake has been 8s. A champion is just a nice pice to look at.

You can save alittle money and keep the stock intake and just port it. A stock ported intake has been 8s. A champion is just a nice pice to look at.
Yes, I believe as long as you can port match the intake to the heads it's all you are going to get out of it. However, I would cut out the EGR tower and weld up the PCV hole. I would also tap in a bunch of vac nipples and tap for the air temp sensor as well.

These little things are more about set-up and combination though.

If you want 800 hp, just go straight to a TA motor and be done with it. Hope your pockets are deep.

If you want 800 hp, just go straight to a TA motor and be done with it. Hope your pockets are deep.
I think you may be missing my point a little. It's really not about making 800 HP. It's more like making sure you have the strength and air flow needed for a killer street motor. I would feel more comfortable making 600 HP on a motor built like this. There are guys making 600 HP on much more mild built motors. But why run 30 lbs to do it? Besides it gives him a little wiggle room.

Like me. I have a lot of wiggle room.:D

Well that's what I kinda mean, I'd like to have a strong foundation then once and a while go the track and turn it up but not to its limits though. A few guys around here have some nice motors and they don't have really anything too crazy done

My main question is what's the latest lingo on turbos, I have my eye set on the 6466 cea but I like to know which cam and torque converter to go with it. Which heads are better gn1s or ta's

For turbo talk......Bison will chime in sooner of later. My experience unfortunately is limmitted and would not likely be applicable to your situation.

I like Champion heads because I have them and the car goes fast.(y) But it seems many people are having trouble getting them lately. Both heads have their own fan-club, and also the time slips to justify them.

That's about what I get from it, I've got time. The car runs good now I'm just planning for the future