summit racing 8pt cage

BADazzBUICK

NO!!...its not a MONTE!!!
Is anyone running one of these?I would love to spend 2-3K on a custom one ,but thats not gonna happen. I know the pre-made ones dont fit very well,but I might have to go that route.Any feedback on these would be great. ThanX.

man i havent run one of these but ive seen some gbody premade kit that doesnt go through the package try it went through the seat area and i didnt like that so be careful which kit you get

A possible "issue" you need to consider on a pre-bent cage installation in a GN is with the lower door panels. The "protrusion" on the panel will need to cut, or the bar will need modified to clear.:confused:

On some GN's we have just replaced this panel by fabricating a sheet metal replacement. Looks really good when powder coated gray.:)

I bought one for my malibu and it was junk. We spent HOURS cutting and fitting and we just ended up cutting it out. You get what you pay for. I would highly suggest a S&W kit. I have not personally purchased one, but after years and years on the boards I have never heard a bad thing about their kits...I ended up with a chris alston, but it was not really my decision, it was the decision of the fabber....HTH.

check out S&W , fits nice , pipes are already notched , you can also order the pro rear bars which are bent to go through package , , the std 6 point (good to 10.0) is 169.00 if you want through the package tray add about 35 bucks more for the pro rear bars, they arent as close to the roof as I'd like but they aren't through the seat

remember you dont really need a passenger door bar for 10.00 and slower but most people put them in anyway

my buddy (jhuber) bought the S&W mild kit and did the install himself , all fitted up waiting to go to a pro welder because he want its tigged but a mig will do just fine .
, he also bought the pro bars but ended up using a portable greenlee hydraulic bender and bent the std rear bars that come with the kit to follow the roof go through the package tray and end at the top of the rear spring perch , instead of running the supplied door bars straight to the foot area he bent a curve down so they go straight down into the floor , they fit without any additional bending to clear the door trim

he posted some pics on the the other site in the magna forum

youll also need to get tabs for attaching the safety harness to the cross bar .
and if you want cheap swingouts i like the summit CE ones better than the S&W kits

I just bought the s&w chromoly 8 point bar with the pro bars and it is at the chassis shop getting installed right now...(along with an rj race cars anti-roll bar and qa1 coil overs).....looks great,cant wait to get it back

Some pics of S&W mild steel 8 point roll bar!!

Attachments

• WH1 Buildup 017 (Medium).jpg
    WH1 Buildup 017 (Medium).jpg
    69 KB · Views: 654
  • WH1 Buildup 019 (Medium).jpg
    WH1 Buildup 019 (Medium).jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 667
  • WH1 Buildup 029 (Medium).jpg
    WH1 Buildup 029 (Medium).jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 636
  • WH1 Buildup 033 (Medium).jpg
    WH1 Buildup 033 (Medium).jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 634
  • WH1 Buildup 034 (Medium).jpg
    WH1 Buildup 034 (Medium).jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 630
Kit was a perfect fit!! Fish mouths were plasma cut with virtually no cleanup!!

Attachments

• WH1 Buildup 035 (Medium).jpg
    WH1 Buildup 035 (Medium).jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 646
  • WH1 Buildup 036 (Medium).jpg
    WH1 Buildup 036 (Medium).jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 648
  • WH1 Buildup 040 (Medium).jpg
    WH1 Buildup 040 (Medium).jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 628
  • WH1 Buildup 041 (Medium).jpg
    WH1 Buildup 041 (Medium).jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 629
  • WH1 Buildup 046 (Medium).jpg
    WH1 Buildup 046 (Medium).jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 634
looks nice

Thanks!!! The S&W kit was easy to fab up too!! Pilot holes in the floor then to the frame made cutting floor easy as well. I used a 1 3/4" holesaw to cut the floor/frame and it slid right in!!

does s&w have a web site?does the cage have to go threw the frame,or just welded on top of it?

I also agree about just getting it right the first time. Been down the road too many times of doing the same project twice. That S&W kit looks great. The Alston one is very nice as well.

if you weld it to the floor of the car its a waste of money. IF you want to be nhra legal on a full frame car it must be welded to the frame. uni body like a mustang can be welded to the floor but not a full frame car. it doesnt have to go through the frame though hope that clears it up for ya BIGPSI