Sump welded on Gas Tank

Pox

Neither small nor chicken
Does anyone know where I can get a sump welded on to my gas tank. I already have a non baffled tank.

Jon

Universal Manufacturing welded the sump on the Camaro's gas tank. I think it cost around $100 (don't remember exactly) with us supplying a $40 pre-fab sump, plus another $75 to have the tank steam cleaned before the welding was done. The down side is that the Camaro has a big fuel pump with a return regulator; under braking with less than 1/2 tank of gas, the sump pumps dry almost immediately. Add up the money and negative features and a fuel cell becomes very attractive...

just curious if anyone has tried a sump with a baffle. it may not be perfect like intank pumps. but i guess something to keep the fuel from sloshing away from the sump. would it work? maybe patent the idea and start a business? :confused:

I just ordered a new cell. What will you be using this for, show car, race car, ect...? The one I have now is a Jaz, but the top is a little warped, so I'm ordering an aluminum one. Let it's a 12 gallon cell, one 10an on bottom of sump, two 6 an on top.Let me know if you're interested.

If not, Summit, Jegs, E-bay has them.

Thanks, Paul

Originally posted by fugly
just curious if anyone has tried a sump with a baffle. it may not be perfect like intank pumps. but i guess something to keep the fuel from sloshing away from the sump. would it work? maybe patent the idea and start a business? :confused:

what about the foam they use on some fuel cells? can that be installed in a conventional tank?

Fuel cell

Paul, what's the part number on your fuel cell, I might be interested. I was actually thinking that I would baffle it somewhat. Since I would already have to weld the sump on to the tank I figured I could also weld in a wall surrounding the sump area to prevent all the fuel from flowing forward or side to side during breaking and turning.

I don't have a part number. It's 18X18X10. It has foam also.
As Robert said, you could use the foam in the one your building.

Originally posted by HI85WH1
what about the foam they use on some fuel cells? can that be installed in a conventional tank?

Rob, I thought about that, but figured it would interfere with the sending unit float (street car, remember ;) ).

We'll probably re-think the return line, or move on to a fuel cell.

Tommy, the cell I have now has the foam around the sending unit, althought that might be hard if you're going to use the stock tank.:) Mine is a street car too:D

My new aftermarket stock location aluminum gas tank has a sending unit, is baffled and has a sump with two 1/2in. fittings.
It was made by behindbarsracecars.com

cool! how does it work out? i know behindbars make sumped fuel tanks for mustang as well. i might have to look into this one :)

Sorry, like the rest of my parts in my living room it has not been installed yet. Looks very nice though.