You can type here any text you want

Suspension rebuild?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

buickruss

My 86 GN has begun pulling to the right. Im think the control arm bushings or ball joints may be on their way out.
What is the best way to test the front suspension so Im not replacing good parts along with the bad. ?

Russ

If you never checked a front end before.Take the car to a midas or shop like that that gives free estimates and most of the time they bring you out and show you what is bad. get the estimate and post what they say.They might overllook the upper control arm bushings.If you want my advice replace it all.They have complete kits on line if money is an issue. I watched evil bay and found all moog parts cheap. rock auto is pretty cheap also.I went with global west del a lum bushings.anyways front end jobs can get real expensive unless you do it yourself.The last one I did was I think $600.00 and the guy brought his own parts.I changed everything bushings,springs, shocks.all steering parts. sway bar bushings and links.If you have someone do it watch overlap on labor times shops will charge labor for every part I have seen 13 hour estimates not including the alignment.be careful with that.I think 8 hours is about what it should be. good luck

My 86 GN has begun pulling to the right. Im think the control arm bushings or ball joints may be on their way out.
What is the best way to test the front suspension so Im not replacing good parts along with the bad. ?

Russ

Gonna go a little further than chopped39 did. You will need a jack to check the ball joints. Lift each side up seperatly under the control arm, grab the tire at 12 and 6 oclock position and see how much movement you have first. Look at the bushing and see if any of them are cracked/torn or collapsed. If you're not used to looking at them then by all means take it to a shop and have them check it.
If the car has started to pull you might just try swaping the front tires before you take it to a shop. When a car "suddenly" starts pulling it usually indicates a possible seperation or movement of the belts in the tire. Try this first to see if it changes direction or does nothing.

Back