You can type here any text you want

Swap crank n rods?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TurboTnZ06

Go on red!
Can I swap out the stock crank and stock rods in favor of something forged in my 109? I'm NOT wanting a stroker, just make it stronger. I have all billet main caps that were align honed. What about the wiseco pistons, would they be reusable? Only 20,000 gingerly driven miles on this combo. What are the most popular crank and rod setup these days for a 10 flat+ 109 build?

Sure can, just search through the vendor on the home page, as for the pistons, just re-ring them and your good to go.

Its not a simple swap out unless you buy the complete kit from a vendor. If you buy a crank and rods and use your existong pistons which is perfectly fine you will or may need rebalancing, bearing clearancing, bearings chamfered, balancer/flywheel. THEY ARE NOT DROP INS unless you buy a kit from a vendor that is a machinist and has done everything ive mentioned above. I have a CAT stock stroke and old ATR H beam rods. The current rods and pistons have been in 3 different engines over the years and a lot of WOT time of 500hp. The 3.4 CAT crank i used was far from a drop in. Tapered journals required turning .010 and the main bearings required a heavy chamfer. The flywheel flange was oversize as well.

I would go with a rotating assembly from DLS or similiar Quality vendor. If you want to roll with new pistons I would wait till you have the block and the new rotating assembly at the machine shop because each manufacturer is a little different as to what they need to have for wall clearence. It would be ideal to hand over your parts to a very good machinist and let him order pistons based on what compression you want run, deck hieght, head gasket compressed thickness, heads you intend to run, cam you intend to use and the chamber volume of the heads. I had to grind my 109 in 6 places to clear a forged Eagle crank so really, as you can see there is nothing drop-in about putting in a new rotating assembly.
Mike

After having gone thru this last summer, nothing is drop in as Bison and others have said. You also have to remember that depending on the crank, you may go from external balence to internal, which now you will need to get a new flywheel and damper which is more $$ Before you do anything, ask lots of questions and decide if you have the budget to do it.

Steve

Back