You can type here any text you want

swapping 3.8 into my 86 firebird

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

XopherTony

hello, tried searching. i am wondering if anyone has done a complete guide to this swap. i know on TGO (thirdgen.org) there is a total right up on the 2.8=>3.4 swap. if not.... well my post count might be getting a bit high with newb questions :frown:

thanks all for the help

Well first things first, what r u starting with?

A v-8 or v-6 in your car?

And what are you swapping from a TTA or a GN/T-type?

Than I am sure we can spit out some knowledge :-)

TTA stuff is the easier swap, the GN is barely harder just talkes some more thought .

later
Jeremy

i would buy a TTA if i could find one. but most of you guys own three or more :biggrin: so i am kinda out of luck. another option would be finding a reacked TTA, also unlikley. so i will be doing GN. i have a 2.8L now. i have allready done some engine bay clearing. (little stupid crap like relocating washer reservoir and cruisecontrol delete, fuel evap canister delete etc...)

i know thtat the TTA engine has different heads, i have been told by a few people that as long as i dont wand AC (and i don't) that i can use the stock GN heads. but i will be putting in the TTA crossdrilled crank anyway (or some better crank then that i supose) so anything i can do while its out of the car to make it a better engine will probably be done,(like TTA pistons/heads) including a rebuild. my plan is to buy the engine after christmas and not drop it in till summer. plenty of time for tinkering.

is for the chasis i plan on putting in a tubular kmember (not decided which brand yet) and possably switching to front coilover. :cool: i am not 100% on this stuff yet. i still have to price it all out.

i also need to know if there was ever a 6speed available that is a direct fit to the buick GN engine. or atleast a 5speed. i hate slushboxes.

XopherTony]i would buy a TTA if i could find one. but most of you guys own three or more :biggrin: so i am kinda out of luck. another option would be finding a reacked TTA, also unlikley. so i will be doing GN. i have a 2.8L now. i have allready done some engine bay clearing. (little stupid crap like relocating washer reservoir and cruisecontrol delete, fuel evap canister delete etc...)

I have a 109 block if you are interested. Contact me at few@lubrizol.com.

By the time you do engine harness, engine, crossmemeber, headers, downpipe, transmission, engine mounts, and all the TTA specific stuff like oil cooler for instance.. you can buy a 10K mile original TTA and still be ahead.

If you have the engine, and a wrecked TTA.. and been searching/picking up parts.. easy estimate.. 7-10K doing the work yourself..

The cross drilled TTA crank... hehehe :rolleyes: Good Luck finding one.

Anyone who has done the conversion.. will tell you the time/money involved.

And to put a manual tranny.. hehe..

Ohh I forgot you'll also need a rear end ;)

Suggestion.. finance a 15,000 TTA thats low mile.. and instead of wrecking the pocket book creating ... enjoy driving.

Hard enough when you have everything in place. And when your done.. what will it be worth?.. That used TTA looks to be a lot less headache.

i had a guy PM me regarding a TTA for sale and he wanted 21K :eek:

couldent i just buy the crank from GM? how much could they possably be? or i could buy some aftermarket crank...

besides, wont any v8 tranny mount up? i can get a T5 for practicaly nothing and my car is allready a stick.

[XopherTony]also, whats a 109 block? neb question i am sure, but i am new to this...

A 109 block is a stock 3.8 turbo block used in all the GN's and Buicks.

91Bird305 said:
Its gonna be expensive. Trust me. :redface:

Ditto..

How bout.. find the headers. Start and chew on this one first. Headers should be really easy rite :D . All you need is a drivers header, passenger header, crossover and a downpipe..

Then lets do the oil cooler assembly that goes on the front of the timing cover to clear the idler arm..

Get those two.. hehe..

PS.. crank is discontinued.. dont worry bout the motor.. that one is easy.. just need like 4-5k to build a decent one. Pistons are 800.00.

yeah, i actualy have been looking into this stuff. my plan is to price it all out first. and yeah, if it's gonne be 10k i probably won't do it. but i do need information to get all the prices before i just decide not to do it.

anyway i am keeping a binder of my running total in parts. so far i am up to 450$ for engine mounts and some intercooler piping. i may just use the stock mounts... i dunno...

91Bird305 said:
It will be 10K, I promise.
10k is a good estimate.
Doing it from scratch is no question more expensive than buying a driver TTA

Everyone is rite about having alot of money invested. But if and thats a big if, you could find a good NA 87-90 TA donor with good interior and great body with paint, then you would have a good start.

There are a lot of good deals on used stock parts on this board. Many GNs get parted out so that is a good source. I really hate seeing members who have big dreams of having a full race car and start stripping a low 20k mileage GN out and then sell the shell for scrap. Because they have lost interest in the project. I think the biggest hurdle would be finding some TTA stock headers. Caspers sell a new complete wire harness. Full ported TTA heads from Champion and complete exhaust system from ATR. Good aftermarket parts do add up. KEY word would be shop!

Cant get a Terry Houston DP, now you cant get an ATR down pipe..cuase theyre done :(

Parts for sale, the TTA stuff pops up once a month.. and its not very prevalent.

10K is very conservative. Jan spent 10K and he already had a TTA :biggrin:

Buy a car like that one on Ebay, and then spend 4k painting it.. you'll be way way ahead.. and have a "REAL" TTA.

Trick is to get a car that has all the parts there.

For sale ... TTA with 10,500 miles NO eng or trans ... 9" Ford rear w/backbrace 350 gears .. tubular K frame ... coil overs up front .. Koni's all around .. offer's :confused: :eek: :p

Back