You can type here any text you want

Swapping Engine, Need to make a Choice :)

• Thread starter Thread starter Yellowknifer
  • Start date Start date

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Y

Yellowknifer

Ok I really want to swap an LT5 into my 89 GTA but as we all know this is not going to happen. Next best option for me would be a built 3.8L with a turbo or a built v8 with AFR's. I was wondering what kind of cost difference there was/pain in the butt factor as well. Thanks for your time :).

Built V8's

I've spent way too much $ on building V8's for my Iroc, one of which had the AFR aluminum heads and they kept going thru headgaskets. Had a stock carbed 305, swapped to 350, built 383, built 385 w/ weiand blower, built L98 from '89 Vette.

Your best bet is to find a wrecked Turbo Buick and drop the drivetrain into it! There's a few guys here that have done the swap into Trans Ams, like Fly89GTA, TTA850, and a Camaro like Darren89Z. I'm currently trying to do the swap.

An LT5 would be cool though! (as long as you don't ever have to replace a starter:D )

Can't help but drool at the thought of an LT5... Those things can rev to 8000 reliably!!!!! :eek:

Well I'll tell ya what. Sounds like you haven't had much luck with v8's... the one I have now runs perfectly at the moment. TPI'd 350 from an 89 GTA. I was wondering if anyone has done a documentary of this since doing the swap? I seem to recall seeing a site one time, but I can't seem to find it again. If I did do this, I would really want to keep my 700r4. It is a built unit guaranteed to 600+hp. I haven't even used it yet!! Still waiting for it to arrive actually, but I need my car on the road asap and really I wasn't going to do the motor until later in the summer due to lack of cash flow. Just going to do the suspension right for now. Anyway, seems to me if I could just find a wiring harnass and intake I should be ok? The rest isn't too hard to find ? I wouldn't keep the stock cam, heads or turbo anyway so...

Ok, so if you want to keep the 700R4, you'll have to get an adapter plate from TCI, with that set up you can retain the stock driveshaft and torque arm/tranny x member. You want to find a TTA motor if you want a/c. The GN heads will not allow room for an a/c compressor to fit. (If you use the regular lesabre FWD heads like the TTA you'll raise the compression on the GN motor too high) You do want to find TTA motor mounts if you want to bolt them to the frame. Otherwise with GN motormounts (saddles on the frame) will have to be welded (What I'm doing). As long as you have a complete GN engine/ecm harness it doesn't seem like you'll have much problem "mating" the Fbod's wiring to the Buicks . You'll want to upgrade your TPI fuel pump, just because it can flow 80 psi, doesn't mean it'll do it for long. The fuel lines will have to be fabricated at the motor (Fuel lines for a GN motor bolt up right under the ps pump, whereas the TPI is right by the Throttle body) The Stock cam can/will run 11's as many has proved, some have even got the stock turbo to low 12's. Stock heads will also take you to the 11's. I'm only about 1/2 way through the swap right now, but if you have any specific questions you can email me and I'll try to help out.

HTH, and good luck!;)

Cool guys. Appreciate the info. No other board I've posted to has been too helpful on this subject :). Ya I'm shooting for low 10's though :D. I figured I might have to fabricate some motor mounts somehow. Was just wondering what other guys had done before me. Again I appreciate the help thanks guys.

glad to see another fbody owner is doing the swap :) You can be TGTA #004 :D

The swap isn't THAT bad, but like stated try to find a TTA motor(tough i know) and try to get AS COMPLETE AS POSSIBLE!

I'm running a built 700r4, seems to be fine right now. Once i get my Walbro 340 pump in i'll be able to tune a bit better and get some track times :)

frostmi@comcast.net email me if you have questions. If steve is doing some type of write up i'll try to help him the best I can to do a step by step article on the swap, i really think that a few people have done it its going to be more popular. :)

Originally posted by roc87
Tony, I'm losing track of things, who's going to be TGTA #3?

Steve found someone on Long Island with an 89(i think, or it might be an 88) GTA with a TTA motor in it :D:D:D

It's a maroon 89 - the owner posts as Turbo Bird on this board :D

Lucky bastard bought it that way :mad: :D

Steve

Originally posted by TTA850
It's a maroon 89 - the owner posts as Turbo Bird on this board :D

Lucky bastard bought it that way :mad: :D

Steve

i think he IM'ed me earlier but i wasn't at my computer..i saved his screen name, i'll IM him later

Dang, who'd go thru all that work and then sell it? I think I'll be buried in mine:D (If I ever finish it!)

(What are the odds of three GTA's with 3.8's in that area!?) I think the swaps that come from Scott (UR50SLO) are the ones closest to me at around 1300 miles:( .

Originally posted by roc87
Dang, who'd go thru all that work and then sell it? I think I'll be buried in mine:D (If I ever finish it!)

(What are the odds of three GTA's with 3.8's in that area!?) I think the swaps that come from Scott (UR50SLO) are the ones closest to me at around 1300 miles:( .

yeah that's pretty cool. Myself and Steve took a trip up into the mountains in NY, it was nice seeing both TGTA's side by side...and i think we gave half the town whiplash with to turbo's spoolin up one behind the other :D:D:D

With the overwhelming responses I am starting to get excited haha i can't help it. Think that 2 weeks of solid work myself and a friend and I can have it in and running? :D I have a feeling finding aftermarket stuff for any part of the turbo 3.8 will be that hard with our friends and their Grand Nationals being so popular and all :). I have a feeling it will be really difficult to find a TTA motor in any scrap yard but you never know :).

Originally posted by Yellowknifer
With the overwhelming responses I am starting to get excited haha i can't help it. Think that 2 weeks of solid work myself and a friend and I can have it in and running? :D I have a feeling finding aftermarket stuff for any part of the turbo 3.8 will be that hard with our friends and their Grand Nationals being so popular and all :). I have a feeling it will be really difficult to find a TTA motor in any scrap yard but you never know :).

well myself, and a few people ripped it out my L98 and had the TTA motor in and running in 4 days, but that's because we had a few little things that we missing, if u have everything you need there is no reason why you guys couldn't start on a friday night and be done sunday night, and don't drink a lot, it seems slow slow down the people doing the swap lol

"I have a feeling it will be really difficult to find a TTA motor in any scrap yard but you never know ."

ya they are out there....not often but every now an then they come up....now what do ya think one is worth????
:p

Do not bother trying to find a TTA motor in a Junkyard.And dont worry yourself with getting the TTA motor at all.The swap is just as simpl with a GN motor since most will charge you an arm and a leg for TTA specific parts since most are discontinued by GM.Paul Ferry at H&R parts has been working on these same parts that you need to swap a 3.8 turbo into a third gen.Motor mounts plates and frame pads.John Pearcy has sent him these parts to copy.This will make the engine a bolt in project with no welding of anykind to the crossmember.Only thing you will have to produce is the down pipe.Email him or call,I am waiting for them.I think you should to.If ac is not a concern dont even bother with a TTA motor.Get a Gn one,much cheaper.:cool:

how's the motor mount project coming along? i think i blew my drivers side mount already.. DOH! :D

a rumor I heard.......

'82 & '83 Camaro V8 Motor mounts will work. Don't hold me accountable for this info, I really prefer the thought of welding the GN mounts to the frame, but I might look into the camaro mount just because this swap is becoming popular and it might help other people out.:confused:

hmmm i'll have to look into that, the vibration is bad down low till i get on it, i guess the motor lifts up and its smooth as smooth can get :)

Back