synthetic oil and rebuilt engines?

If synthetic oil is causing bearing failures, I wonder why Warren Johnson, Bill Jenkins, Spenny Clendenen, David Reher, Richie Gilmore, Randy Dorton, and so many other people who make millions of dollars building engines for racecars (and the best and fastest cars in the world) use oils like Redline, Amsoil, and Mobil 1. And why does GM use synthetic oil in the Corvette engines? Seems to me if synthetic oil was causing problems, GM would sure as hell try to avoid having to do a lot of warranty work on all of those engines. Simply put, synthetic based oils are the best lubricants there are. The rest is a crock.

I always hear good things about Amsoil, but can never find a place that sells it. Anyone have an idea?

Scott

I highly recomend trying to keep the rods inside the motor. This tends to help keep the oil inside the engine. I do realize that throwing a few rods on the ground takes a little weight off of the front end but I dont really think you need that. Your running 128mph so your making plenty of power to pull the weight.

good luck with the turd mobile!

Jason

Originally posted by DR BOOST
engine rebuilt about 3500 miles ago
normal oil pressure was 28 at hot idle and 60 at cruise
on the highway i saw the pressure at 45....30 minutes later it was at 40. i shut off the motor. the next day i started it up and it was 15 at idle with a faint rattle above 2500 rpm

i decided to pull the motor and check the bearings. the rods are perfect and the mains are down to the copper.

a reputed engine builder told me that this is common with rebuilt buick V6's and synthetic oil. i had switched to synthetic oil about 2 weeks prior.

has anyone else come across situations like this?

surej

Similar story from another GN owner in your area done by the same builder. Am presently building him a short block and he will take his back for "compensation"?

Originally posted by gnsrule
Ive never run syn in anything before, and have never had an oil related problem...EVER
I run 20/50 no synthetic in my 87, and thats what im gonna run in the 86. $0.89 a quart, nothing but the best in my motor.

I totally agree. You guys just bought all the hype so you can donate the extra $3 a qt. to the oil companies. I never used synthetic and will continue to not bother. Who cares what the "experts" use. Who knows what they use? They can afford to use whatever concoction they want. If they break their $50,000 motor, they don't even care. My car don't go so fast :rolleyes:, so I'll just keep using Kendall non-synthetic like I've been for the past 40 years.

I am going with poor worksmanship on this one.

I heard that Chevy actually starts the fresh Vette motor with the mobil 1 in it. So that would even put down the whole break in with dino oil theory.

I personally broke mine in on dino with a ton of oil changes in increments of 50, 100, 250, 500, 1000, 2000, 2500 miles. The oil was grey from the initial 20 minute break in and up till the 250 oil change. After the last oil change at 2,500, I have run synthetic oils to 2500 miles before changing again.

I am a little concerned that guys like Pete at ANS, a very respectable and knowledgeable GN guy would not recommend using synths. I am having second thoughts if its worth running it anymore.

If it wasn't for syn oils, planes would fall out of the sky. That's what the airlines use, that's good enough proof for me.

there is a problem with the rebuild not the oil.synthetic is a superior oil and has been proven over years.GM,Porshe,and Ferreri fill their factory hotrods with it.

Synthetic oil has no anti scuff additives?

You don't REALLY believe that, do you?

GM specifies Mobil 1 in their 405HP LS6, and gives a full warranty, yet the oil has no anti scuff additives?

I run 750HP engines at 8500 RPM and have no oil or bearing failures, but there are no anti scuff additives in the oil?

Whatever you think.............

"Experts"

It was pointed out above that people who REALLY know their %&$%^$%T use synthetic oil in their race engines. That brought this response: "Who cares what the "experts" use. Who knows what they use? They can afford to use whatever concoction they want. If they break their $50,000 motor, they don't even care. " I am certain that this response is 100% off base. Why? If you were running at Daytona, or Taledega, and you had a chance to win 1,000,000 dollars would you run anything in your engine that you didn't have faith in? If you were competing in weekly drag racing series, with other top racers, and your income depended on horsepower and reliability, would you run anything you didn't test, and have faith in? If you were going to be responsible for the warranty on an engine that costs thousands to replace, would you specify an oil that you didn't test, and that you could't rely on? The "experts" are experts because they have the education, the experience and the test results to do the things that WORK!! Non-synthetic (dino) oil was absolutely outstanding.. twenty years ago. It is now in second place. Take the engine back to the shop that rebuilt, and get MONEY! (still in first place)

Experts are always right. :rolleyes: We all know that. Hell, when those million dollar racers check their oil and find they're a quart or two low, they just send one of their gophers down to the local discount auto parts to get some synthetic. Right? We all KNOW FOR SURE, that's what they use 'cause they might even say so. I was just having this very same discussion with Kyle the other day and he confided in me that.................:p :D

Opinions..

Are like, uh, navels. Everybody has them, and they are of limited use. BUT.. tests are run, and the results are documented. There are HUNDREDS of tests, not done by the oil companies, that DOCUMENT the superiority of synthetic oil. It is entirely possible to ignore the results of those tests when forming an opinion, especially if the results happen to contradict an opinion you already have. It has been a bunch of years since Buick started to make the turbo engines, and there have been a lot of new developments since then. If you want to ignore those developments, then you should have a TOTALLY stock Buick. Or maybe you want to take advantage of 21st century technology... It ain't as cheap as dino oil, and maybe dino oil is all you need. But then again, maybe 87 octane is all you need, maybe stock injectors are all you need, and maybe Pep Boys tires are all you need... Makes no sense to me to spend big bucks on all the other parts, then save pennies buying oil that's "almost" as good.

Re: Synthetic oil has no anti scuff additives?

Originally posted by 6PacktoGo
You don't REALLY believe that, do you?

GM specifies Mobil 1 in their 405HP LS6, and gives a full warranty, yet the oil has no anti scuff additives?

I run 750HP engines at 8500 RPM and have no oil or bearing failures, but there are no anti scuff additives in the oil?

Whatever you think.............

I'm with you Alan.
However,I must ask: are you running roller cams in those engines?
I can tell that about 6 years ago or so,the synth manufacturers didn't put much in the way of EP additives in their oil blends.
The best I can figure is that they didn't want their additives breaking down[eg. QuakerState] and polluting their oil.
We ran the wheel and pill test as part of our I/M training with different oils and guess which oil did the best?
Texaco Havoline[dino oil].
Guess which one did the worst[only 20 seconds to squeal]?
Pennzoil synth.
A gob of spit did better[33 seconds].
Huh?
I tend to think that it comes down to build quality,not oil used.
Maybe some junk got left in the engine,clearances are set wrong for the pump used,engines broken in with big injectors[fuel wash],etc.

I can't believe you guy have such horrible problems! I have four vehicles and all of them have had Synthetic lubes in every place (Engine,Trannies {Manual & Auto},Differentials, Transfer Cases,etc.) since the 6,000 mile mark. I have had NO major failures on any lubricated part.
Jeep Cherokee: 131,000 miles
Pontiac Transport SE: 115,000 miles
Buick G/N: 90,600 miles
Saturn SL2: 28,000 miles

You guys that use Dino oil, just keep on using it. It won't cause you any problems. If synthetic is better.....IF.........it don't amount to a hill of beans. These guys just like to pay $4 and up for their oil 'cause it makes 'em feel better. That's good. ;)

Don't forget, the oil companies have conducted tests that proves synthetic is better. We can count on that. We know they couldn't be influenced by their own greed. :rolleyes: