You can type here any text you want

TA cam bearing installation question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Amelio

I am putting in a set of TA groved cam bearings today....got a quick question for those who have installed these since TA is not open on Saturday.....

The instructions say to install the bearing holes at the 3 and 7 o'clock position with the bolck right sinde up facing the front.......well theholes in the bolck are not at 3 and 7 the front bearing is more of a 9 and 2 and the left side has a large opening not a drilled hole. The rest of the holes in the bolck are at the 9o'clock position.

My thinking is just to line the hole in the bearing with the hole in the block, the groves on the back side of the bearing will take care of the rest.

Is this ok?

Why would TA suggest 3 and 7 O'clock if it does not line up? Is there something I am missing?

IMO,they are looking at the load of the cam onto the bearing surface. You can put them where ever you want as they are grooved and the oil will flow. HTH.

Put them in the way it says.... Part of the gain here is that they are designed to keep the standard bearing/cam from hemorraging as much oil as thy normlly do

Thanks, shortly after I posted this thread I found the explanation in the TA catalog.....

When I got to my buddy's he did not have a cam bearing installer....what he has is a make shift one out of a regular bearing driver. I tried to get them in which I can but I think a few bearings are not ceneterd correctly because the cam seems way to tight to turn.

Now I need to acutally get my hands on a real cam bearing installer to make sure they are in right......what a PITA!

If you remove them and try to reinstall, they are trash and you must get new ones

Next time..

Thanks, shortly after I posted this thread I found the explanation in the TA catalog.....

When I got to my buddy's he did not have a cam bearing installer....what he has is a make shift one out of a regular bearing driver. I tried to get them in which I can but I think a few bearings are not ceneterd correctly because the cam seems way to tight to turn.

Now I need to acutally get my hands on a real cam bearing installer to make sure they are in right......what a PITA!

listen to what the OLD MAN tells you!:rolleyes:

If you remove them and try to reinstall, they are trash and you must get new ones

I know that this is a good rule of thumb but it's definitely not %100 true. I've pulled cam bearings and put them in without any problems. In fact, current motor has the ta dual groove bearings in it. I punched them in like a standard bearing and then realized I was being retarded. Punched em' out, measured them, everything was good, punched em' back in and haven't had a problem. I've got about 10K miles on this engine and most of that is city (read heavy acceleration) driving.

listen to what the OLD MAN tells you!:rolleyes:

LOL thanks chuck, yeah the old guys are usually right most of the time and this was posted before I called you! unfortunately they were installed wrong before I got to look at it, once I did we removed them and re-installed.....I did not like how the cam turned so I pulled them back out.

I orderd another set from TA today....

Chuck do you know anyone near us that has a cam bearing tool? Or do you know of a decent shop I can bring it to and have them knock the new bearings in?

Back