You can type here any text you want

TA header rubs steering shaft

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

DaveyX87

Anyone else have a clearance problem with driver side TA header? Mine is less than an 1/8 inch from the steering shaft and it slightly rubs and vibrates the wheel sometimes. I was thinking its a motor mount issue but I don't know.

I've seen that before. I thought T/A had since corrected the problem.

I fixed mine by shortening the column shaft and moving the coupling toward the firewall.

How old are the headers? Mine hit when installing the motor but after I get everything in place there is acceptable clearance. I have the HR motor mounts though so that probably helps. I also have all new poly body bushings which may hold the body up a little more off the frame than the stock rubber body bushings do. I bought my TA headers about 3 years ago. For your situation it sounds like the steering shaft upgrade would be the most economical option. I need to do the steering shaft upgrade as well since mine is the original one and is worn badly.

Maybe the body is slightly off center on the frame?

The headers were new in the box but I'm not sure when they were made because I got them from a GN mechanic that had a set on-hand. I might have to change the steering shaft or modify it. The rubbing is not substantial but it can't be good long-term.

Might be able to loosen the steering mounting bolts at the firewall/under the dash and move the shaft enough to get more clearance.

I have the newest TA headers. Same issue. Wish I would have seen this post before installation! I have driver and pass poly mounts and poly tranny mount along with poly body mounts. My installer had to shave the steering column coupling/bolt a little, move the steering column as much as he could and actually dent the header a little:cry:.
I was really pissed for a minute but these are aftermarket parts on old cars. I'm not even certain that my frame is 100% straight anyway.

Anyone who installed the new steering shaft-did you notice any different steering feel?

A little bit tighter feel, but not a huge difference. Of course my rag joint on the factory steering shaft was in very good shape .
I felt that any modification to help tighten up the "old boat" or "chesterfield on wheels" feeling would be worth it! LOL
Now there's way more space between the steering shaft & the headers!
In my opinion, the GM steering shaft is a great upgrade on all fronts.

I have the mild steel TA headers and factory steering shaft and I have over an inch of clearance. I am using HR mounts on both sides

Bryan

Attached are pics of my situation.
shaftheader1.jpg
shaftheader2.jpg

WOW! Holy shit! That doesn't look right! Could it be the TA headers be out of tolerance? Maybe check with TA Performance or ask Nick Micale for his opinion on these.
Mine are now where near that close.
Change over to the GM steering shaft as mentioned earlier in this thread and I'm sure it will clear up your issues.

I contacted the Monte Carlo guy mentioned earlier on this thread by 1KWIKSIX. I sent him some pics and he said he will have a GM shaft for me in a week or so. I appreciate the help!

Back