TB update!

M

MikeE

An update for you guys! I been working around the clock to recover as much as I can for @SGRIM

I have fully fixed the style, all buttons and site images should now load again including that big ass broken square that was at top where the TB logo is now back at.

Best I could do was an Oct database, newer one stored off site was corrupted and wouldn't import, seems MySQL timed out during that data dump, so it was missing some important tables to make our forum software function correctly. Since the backup server also went down, all attachments, photos and user avatars need to be re-uploaded since they weren't included in the off site backup I personally keep due to overall size. To replace a broken image or attachment, just simply edit your thread to reinsert it. To readd your avatar, this is down in your profile area.

Search should now be fully resolved and 100% working again! Our advance search system using Elastic Search is back online.

Thank you to everyone being patient while we clean up this mess. Please let me know if you still run into anymore issues

Good Job!

Thank YOU!!!!!!!

Now, how do I reduce the amount of pop up ad's, I had them reduced substantially before the crash..............

Thanks for getting us back up and going!

Good Job!

Thank YOU!!!!!!!

Now, how do I reduce the amount of pop up ad's, I had them reduced substantially before the crash..............

Magically, I now get one pop up at the top of the site screen, all the rest are gone and I did nothing.

I'm cool with that.:)

@SGRIM,

@MikeE, thanks for having the backup you did externally archive. It's crazy the primary server and it's backup were hosted on the same network. with the loss, sounds like adjacent slots in the same rack - the best example of what not to do. so it's no wonder you all are seeking a new hosting facility.

with this most recent loss of the servers the forum lost almost 3 months of data let alone what members have been bookmarking, watching, and the private message exchanges during that time. with the other server crash(es) in 2019, one instance resulted in data loss for about the previous month while other crashes/glitches resulted in loss of uploaded images for some pre-event duration. Aren't servers configured to backup automatically each night at a time of less traffic?

The backup Mike had, stripped out images and attachments - understandably so considering the totality of uploaded file sizes. As such, there is a lot of information in Stickys and How To's that are gone. As members, we do not have the ability to save our bookmarks, etc. or edit our posts once the initial 10 minutes passes. So, we don't have the access to re-upload those documents. While you all have been working diligently to get the forum live again, members have invested a lot of their own time to draft and post those threads that became stickys and how to's. While it's doubtful 100% of that data can be recovered, much of it still resides with those members who initially shared it with this forum. tech write-ups and photo guides lacking the accompanying visual aids and linked documents are not really helpful.

The policy about not being able to edit posts after 10 minutes is understandable. with respect to the marketplace, you administrators had noted the desire for the sections, especially cars for sale, to live on as an intact research tool. That is a great idea. But I see now that ALL previous uploaded documents and images back to 2001 are now gone. that is a tremendous loss for the forum.

Perhaps something can be considered to give members the opportunity to review and edit posts in an effort to reconstruct the visual aids and uploaded documents. maybe some additional data can be recovered with member input.

Thanks for the great input @Anthony P Adjusting permissions is Shanes call, agree though it would be helpful. See what the boss man says . :)

Mike E. I am truly grateful for all your hard work.

The biggest value of this site that FB can not compete with is the history, knowledge, and accompanying photos to go with it.
Is there any way to recover this? I personally have hundreds of hours of tech and Spoolfool photos that are now gone or worthless.
As a top level paying vendor, I am counting on and need all the links. I no longer personally have all these photos.

If we no longer have our history here, many more may just go play chit chat on FB. Please tell me this is not so? I am horrified to ponder the end of this great site. This is the only real place people can go to to learn about these cars and how to keep them running. As a mod here, I have people asking me to fix there links. What can we do?

Mike Barnard

An update for you guys! I been working around the clock to recover as much as I can for @SGRIM

I have fully fixed the style, all buttons and site images should now load again including that big ass broken square that was at top where the TB logo is now back at.

Best I could do was an Oct database, newer one stored off site was corrupted and wouldn't import, seems MySQL timed out during that data dump, so it was missing some important tables to make our forum software function correctly. Since the backup server also went down, all attachments, photos and user avatars need to be re-uploaded since they weren't included in the off site backup I personally keep due to overall size. To replace a broken image or attachment, just simply edit your thread to reinsert it. To readd your avatar, this is down in your profile area.

Search should now be fully resolved and 100% working again! Our advance search system using Elastic Search is back online.

Thank you to everyone being patient while we clean up this mess. Please let me know if you still run into anymore issues

I have to second Mike. I appreciate the hard work everyone puts into the site to keep things up and running and the massive amount of work and countless hours you have put into getting things functioning again. However, losing photos makes much of the most valuable portions of the site unusable. It's enough to make one throw up their hands and say "I'm done."

I understand the difficulty of backing up photos, pdfs, etc but the time, frustration and money saved by members is priceless. I would personally be willing to contribute on a monthly or annual basis to have offsite redundant backup especially if there were side benefits to this "premium membership" like no ads or some sort of small coupon with vendors or something.

I would be willing to do a lot to avoid having to rely upon Facebook Groups as a primary resource in the future.

i don't know about update but when i'm on nothing works. i cant even check my own content why.

can i get a little help here please don't understand thank you

have you tried logging off .. restarting your computer ... loging back on... if you are always logged on .. you might need to log off and then log back in IDK
yes i always log off but all the pic from others are crashed and so is mine thank you