TCC lockup wiring (converting to th2004r)

herrakani

So I'm hooking up my Malibu to my modified 2004r in the place of worn out and leaking 350. Now I need advice to hook up my TCC lockup. I want to have TCC lockup on fourth gear, at about 45-50 mph. That equals about 1500 rpm. (uh oh, maybe higher final drive?)

My KB3 valve body doesn't have the 4th gear switch so I need to install one on the 4th gear pressure port. At least the passage on the VB seems to have an unthreaded plug in it.

How about the initial hooking on the engine vacuum? Do I need the adjustable vacuum switch superior makes or is there better ones available? Other ideas how to do this?

there should be a 4th gear switch, but maybe not a 3rd gear switch like the TR's had.
hook it up so the + wire to the solenoid has power when the key is on (thru the brake switch and a vacuum switch if you feel the need) and the 4th gear pressure switch grounds the relay.

We use the B&M speed sensor lockup kit in all of our retrofit 200-4R's. Work great and you can change the lockup speed from the comfort of your drivers seat. Once installed, you can set if and forget it if you want. The lockup occurs only in 4th (od) AND at the speed which you select. It will unlock when you go below your selected speed. No hokey toggle switches or manual locking/unlocking like cheaper kits.

Wire it through a later brake pedal switch (if you don't already have one) so your converter unlocks when you hit the brake pedal. No pressure switch needed with the speed sensor kit.

We have not had good luck with vacuum switches especially if you are not using a cam with stock characteristics. The vacuum switches seem to be tempermental, locking when you don't want and unlocking when you want it locked. They also can set up a ping pong effect with locking and unlocking depending on your combo and driving conditions.

I already have an autometer speed sensor hooked up to my speedo wire, I'm a bit concerned about how operational would it be to run 2 hall sensors in a row. I think I have a brake switch on the brake pedal or at least I have one on my cruise control equipped parts cars.

We use the B&M speed sensor lockup kit in all of our retrofit 200-4R's. Work great and you can change the lockup speed from the comfort of your drivers seat. Once installed, you can set if and forget it if you want. The lockup occurs only in 4th (od) AND at the speed which you select. It will unlock when you go below your selected speed. No hokey toggle switches or manual locking/unlocking like cheaper kits.

Wire it through a later brake pedal switch (if you don't already have one) so your converter unlocks when you hit the brake pedal. No pressure switch needed with the speed sensor kit.

We have not had good luck with vacuum switches especially if you are not using a cam with stock characteristics. The vacuum switches seem to be tempermental, locking when you don't want and unlocking when you want it locked. They also can set up a ping pong effect with locking and unlocking depending on your combo and driving conditions.

+1 on the B&M works great for all sorts!

A.j.