TCS 9x11 3800 First impressions.

Guys I have seen this problem before and here is what I have found.

If you are using a stock motor and 66 or bigger turbo I would recommend a 3400 stall converter. Lock up or non lock is up to you. On stock motors you can use a lock up.

Stage motors there is only 2 ways to go. Trans brake and a 3800 stall Art Carr will work pretty well. You get the best of both worlds, a good 60 foot and decent mph on the top end. For some reason and I cant tell you why, a converter with a higher stall just does not work. I have seen a 8 inch 5000 stall, 9 inch 3500 and a 9 inch 4000 stall get blown right through and they were all non lock converters. Different manufacturers too. After 2 years of trial and error the 3800 stall converter worked the best. I even had the car dynod and with a TH 400 I calced the slippage on the converter at 12%. 1 to 1 ratio at the trans, rpms on the motor and rpms at the wheel.

I have seen a non lock 3800 work without a trans brake pretty well but launching is always a problem. The 60 foots are about a tenth slower as well.

And I dont care who it is or what they say. Getting the right converter is still a trial and tear it out, send it back, guess at the stall speed and send it back to me affair. No one can get it right and I think that is just the nature of the beast.

All readings before and after have been taken with DirectScan.

I pick up two mph and 2 tenths in the 1/8 mile locking up the converter.

My 3600 billet 9x11 at 3400 RPM's will be at 1-2 lbs boost. Thats where I leave at. This netted a 1.525 60 foot two weeks ago.

5500 RPM's come instantly. and to get a 700 rpm drop shifts will be around the 5800-6000 RPM range at 25 PSI boost.

I'm happy.

HTH