TCS 9x11 3800 First impressions.

Originally posted by NEARING
Yep I wish we could have got that converter to lock up.

And the tires to hook.

And not blowing oil out of the breathers.:eek: :(

yeah few of them minor details worked out we could see another 9 sec stock block car thats tsm legal too :)

there is something i have learned from this.although the rpm needed to launch the car is correct for the application and max launch ,the convertor is very inefficient at high boost levels.what i am finding is the 3400 will yield the extra rpms when staged with a biger turbo and higher torque and still give a good hydraulic coupling when unlocked.i am very surprised at the results .however they speak for themselves and if we arent locking them ,then we must use less stall speed in conjunction with a transbrake for improved results.

Originally posted by chris718
there is something i have learned from this.although the rpm needed to launch the car is correct for the application and max launch ,the convertor is very inefficient at high boost levels.what i am finding is the 3400 will yield the extra rpms when staged with a biger turbo and higher torque and still give a good hydraulic coupling when unlocked.i am very surprised at the results .however they speak for themselves and if we arent locking them ,then we must use less stall speed in conjunction with a transbrake for improved results.

Yep a fellow Buick guy was running near 130 unlocked with less trap rpm than me with a 3200- 3400 I think 9x11 :confused:

Hey Red, or Scott, Do you guys think I would gain any et with a good lock-up? Scott, do you still have a 9/11 I could try? I want to go back to MD for the import vs/ domestic and spank up on some turbo hondas. Any of you going?

Scott H.

Not another 9x11 but a art carr 3500 n/l.

A/C 3500 126 mph-5900 rpms
9x11 3800 123 mph 6300+

I HAD thought the A/C converter was sloppy at high boost!:eek:

Silly me!:rolleyes:

I went to my garage and apologized to the A/C converter.

You'r free to come get it and try it out.

I had a long conversation with art carr today. He says to use 4th gear....All of it! Fast Jason is also trying this (RJC) and a few others. I may keep my somewhat loose converter, 60' is sweet, and get a 3.90 rear gear to use all of 4th. Thats what the pros tell me to do.:confused:

This thread is interesting concerning the lack of drop on turbo applications with the 9/11. I converted to the 9/11 from an Art Carr and have not had any issues in this regard. I have very consistant drops on the grear changes just like the Art Carr converter. As does Norb, I data log through my FAST system.

Granted, I'm not turboed but I do rear wheel on the dyno over 530 lb/ft @ 3500 RPM so I think I am giving it somewhat of a test. I only had the car to the stip once with the 9/11 and it really was a bust, due to two burned plug wires that were causing me lots of grief. Still I MPH'ed 125 foot braking off the line. Best with the Art Carr was a 124, when in perfect running condition. I do run a bit less stall, as mine is tuned for about 3200.

What I do feel is a great improvent over the Art Carr is how hard the 9/11 hits when it comes on the converter. That and it's a lock up, which was WONDERFUL on Power Tour this year.

are you trying to lock it up with all that power during a drag run? Thats the whole idea with the turbo guys. But Art Carr told me to forget about the old lock-up theory, even though he sells a 9/11. He got me to buy one of his 9" non-lockups, and I am going faster than my old GN with champion alum. heads, and a vigilante multi-clutch. Art says too much power will break a lock up, it is only a matter of when.

Originally posted by turbo2nr
are you trying to lock it up with all that power during a drag run? Thats the whole idea with the turbo guys. But Art Carr told me to forget about the old lock-up theory, even though he sells a 9/11. He got me to buy one of his 9" non-lockups, and I am going faster than my old GN with champion alum. heads, and a vigilante multi-clutch. Art says too much power will break a lock up, it is only a matter of when.

I have not locked the converter at the strip. At that time I did not have the lockup wiring connected, so I can't comment on the improvement from that standpoint.

A few years ago I had a long conversation with Art at PRI. This was the same time I ordered a new 200 from him. His attitude was not very pro lock up at that time and doesn't sound like it's changed much since then. Talking with him I sense it's a similar feeling that some folks have with the Ford Vs Chevy debate. Nothing will change someone's mind once they decide what they like.

I will say that the Art Carr tranny and 9" billet converter I had in the car prior to the my PTS with 9/11 did work very well. It did burn up all the clutches one day after an 11 run thrashing at the strip though. I guess I should have had the tranny temp gauge hooked up that day. Art Carr did fix the tranny no question asked. overall though I did really like that tranny.

Bottom line though is having the lock up for hwy use is worth it's weight in gold. We certainly gave the lock up a workout over Power Tour and it has not faltered yet.

Is this bad?

25.79% Converter slippage?:eek:

That's what the TCI converter slip calc shows!

6350 rpms 28in tire and 123mph.

I hammered the lock up clutch in my 9-11 and it worked flawless never had a bit of clutch slip

now if they can fix the problem of not taking power out of lockup it would be best $ can get

I'm having a problem with my 3500 9/11 converter not locking up at WOT...it locks under normal cruise and when i flip the manual switch to ON but whenever I got WOT or during the runs and I flip the switch to ON after 3rd gear...it NEVER locks up...we've come to a conclusion that my converter doesn't lockup under medium to heavy loads...somehow the lockup feature isn't holding up under a load...we have verified the brake switch and tcc solenoid are fine...i made one pass without locking up the converter and it ran 11.60 @ 115...the next pass i tried locking the converter and it ran the exact same time...so it's not working at all...my car should be a tenth or two faster and 2 mph faster in the 1/4...i'm thinking i am gonna go 9" Art Carr non lockup next season and save like 25 lbs off the flywheel:eek:

That is what happens with too much power. I broke a couple of vigilantes. Art warned me not to buy his 9/11. So I went with his 9". It sure does 60' good! Talk to him about using 4th gear...all of it! 3.90 rear gear or a 4.10. Faster times for sure!

as a distributor and promoter of the 9/11 ,i will give them a call and see if we can get some answers to the qs you have.ill phone monday.

thanks Chris ...It will be nice if they find a problem and get them fixed ...when they work they work good
I have 2 people I resently recomended to get 9-11's now I feel bad for recomending them :(

and Im sweating it because I sold mine to a customer after tcs rebuilt it and it has still not been installed ... he is having a tranny built now tho ... what do I tell him when I put it in and the 3400 converter I sold him stalls to 6000 :confused:

according to rusty at tcs it is difficult to get the required 3800 stall on the footbrake without driving through the convertor upstairs.this is due to the design limitations of the parts used to gain the required stall speed.he suggested using the 3400/3500 with a transbrake or locking the convertor in 2nd gear if the combinations permits.both of these were suggested by me before.on the latter ,its not beneficial from my standpoint to make judgements about the performance of the convertor when locked because we dont have any reliable information at this time.this was part of the overall plans in a decision to use a convertor of this stall speed.i personally believe that this is where the real benefits in et will be seen with the larger turbochargers with spool up delays.as far as problems with the convertor not locking at wot but ok during cruise,i have never as of yet had such a complaint with the 9/11.all lockup concerns so far seem to be trans related.

as stated, my 9/11 locked just fine under normal driving...wouldn't lock at wot....supposed to be a "3600" stall...this is on a (heavy) high 10 sec car.....

was returned to PTS a couple of months ago

try putting trans into 2nd, rolling along at 45mph, then lock it manually, then go WOT and bump into 3rd. Does it stayed locked during the WOT run and during the 2-3 shift? Just a test.:)

the converter is in PTS's hands, not my car.......

Vigilante multi always locked just fine with the same trans.....