You can type here any text you want

TE-44 or TE49??

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

boost'N87

i dont care about the appearance thing, that dont bother me, but what other things to consider? anyone else have these turbos?

Lot of good discussion on these two turbos.

I personally have both. The 49 in my 87, and the 44 in my 86.

They have both done considerable duty in my 86.

Which do I prefer you ask???

the 44, hands down.

My car is going to be a daily driver, so stock internals are in it. also all i am looking for is low 12's, maybe even high 11's. But it most be reliable. Is this possible with either turbo?

Originally posted by boost'N87
My car is going to be a daily driver, so stock internals are in it. also all i am looking for is low 12's, maybe even high 11's. But it most be reliable. Is this possible with either turbo?

Sure. 36 # injectors minimum.

A TA49 can use an unmodified Wasegate actuator so that could save you a few bucks or an hour or two of cobble time.

Either turbo on a daily driver, in street trim won't give you a tremendous increase in power. Up the boost to 23 psi and you'll see .3 - .4 seconds or so and 4-5 mph in the 1/4 mile.

A far as performance goes, the difference between the two turbos is hard to measure, even at the track.

they are essentially the same exact turbo except the TA-49 turbo is stock appearing while the TE-44 has a little bit better efficient exhaust housing...they say it has maybe 35 more horsepower capabilities over the 49 but that's at like 30 psi or something crazy...basically they are the same turbo performance wise...i had a TE-44 on my car last year and that thing screamed...ran mid 11's on a 100k mile completely stock untouched motor except for valve springs...

Originally posted by UNGN
A TA49 can use an unmodified Wasegate actuator so that could save you a few bucks or an hour or two of cobble time.

Whats the deal with the wastegate actuator? What does the TE-44 require as far as modification? I thought it was virtually the same thing, except for exhaust housing, and was a direct bolt-on.

Originally posted by GrndNatnl
Whats the deal with the wastegate actuator? What does the TE-44 require as far as modification? I thought it was virtually the same thing, except for exhaust housing, and was a direct bolt-on.

Well, you see, that's where the mis information comes into play. Their exhaust housings are identical. It's the compressor housings that are different. The 44 runs a more effiecient (also non stock appearing) compressor housing. It requires a different mounting bracket be fabricated for the TE type housing. Something that any of our vendors can supply by the way.

The 44 is great i have one on a stock block and have run a best of 11.6@113. looking to go a couple of tenths faster with bigger inj, and a cam,possibley aluminum champions too. maybe 11.0's or a ten anything.:cool: :cool:

what about price differance? so i can put a fuel pump, 39#injectors, and a TE44 and run 11's? if this is true i am in love all over again

Originally posted by boost'N87
what about price differance? so i can put a fuel pump, 39#injectors, and a TE44 and run 11's? if this is true i am in love all over again

No, but I ran 11.53 @ 118.31 with a TA49, 36# Bluetops, THDP and a bigneck stock intercooler on BFGDR's thru the exhaust.

These cars are all about tuning. You'll have most of the pieces in the puzzle to run 11's. It's putting the puzzle together that's the hard part.

I thought it was the opposite. I thought the exhaust housing was different. Why does the 44 spool "faster" then the 49?

Originally posted by GrndNatnl
I thought it was the opposite. I thought the exhaust housing was different. Why does the 44 spool "faster" then the 49?

Nope, only the comressor housings are different. Why does the 44 spool faster than the 49?? Didn't know it did. While I was experimenting with both the 49 and 44 on my 86, there wasn't any discernable difference between the two in that respect.

Hmmmmmmmm....

I'm all confused now. I always heard that the TE-44 was a great street turbo and had a little quicker spoolup for some reason. Thought it had to do with exhaust housing. Other then that, its not "stock appearing".

Back