Tear Down in Progress...

Great pics, wish I could build my own engine..:)

Believe me, that's the easy part! Trying to stuff 10# of cr@p into a 5# engine bay is getting out of my league. Between my back and my patience, I can't make good progress and now it's just too d@mned hot. :frown: I spent 4 hrs today hanging the turbo. Of course, that includes removing half the stuff I put on yesterday so the turbo would go in. This install is like a Chinese puzzle, everything has to go on in a (very) particular order - OR ELSE!

Got the shortblock finished yesterday, 24 ft/lbs "breakaway" torque to rotate it. Put my RJC headgaskets on today, I'm thinking these are a step up from the old (no longer available) stacked GM shim gaskets! The sili-goop also went on my studs as well as the gaskets. Jace's torquing procedure is pretty intense, go to 50# in 10# increments then to 85# in 5# increments. One reason to be glad there are only 8 bolts per side!

what silicone are you using on those headgaskets? i am switching my ported heads to another motor,and having trouble finding the GE 1200 in the purple tube that was used the first time.

what silicone are you using on those headgaskets? i am switching my ported heads to another motor,and having trouble finding the GE 1200 in the purple tube that was used the first time.

The tube that came with Jace's kit shows "GE SSG4000 UltraGlaze". Pretty long cure time, so no hurry on the assembly...

Hey Russ! I'll be happy to dedicate a day to the cause. Just let me know. 409/225-7993. Joel

Hey Russ! I'll be happy to dedicate a day to the cause. Just let me know. 409/225-7993. Joel

Joel,

I wondered if you still posted here... :biggrin: It's ready to fire, except for the downpipe not fitting. Hmmm, came apart but won't go back together, imagine that... :eek: I ordered a V-band clamp and it came in today, but I sanded off a couple fingertips yesterday refinishing my (Weld 96) wheels so I'm taking a break while they heal. Next time I'll remember to wear gloves!

Yup, it's running! :wink: But once again, my cam sensor was off so far it wouldn't start. Spent the whole day stepping through Steve Wood's "no start" checklist and everything checked out good. Twisted the cam sensor about 10° clockwise and it started right up. Idle-wise, the only thing I'm seeing is low O2 x-counts (around 4) and LV8's in the 35 40 range. It's a TurboTweak chip with open loop idle...

This is the second time I've burned myself using the "correct" procedure to set the sensor. I'm now thinking my homemade rig is working backwards from the Casper's tool. Mine uses a VOM meter to check voltage from a 9V battery and John's uses a light (powered from???). I have no idea what John's rig looks like (I made mine 10 yrs ago), but here's what mine is wired like:

Attachments

• cam sensor.jpg
    cam sensor.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 427
Russ, I just use the DVOM on the ohms setting and check for when the continuity(sp) breaks. Good to hear you have it running though. Dropped mine in today. May fire it up tomorrow.:D

It's alive?
Wow, that was quick. LOL :D

I miss clowning around in the garage with you guys. Let me know when the work day will be, and I’ll try to beat down my kids (and wife) enough to slide out the door. I still feel a level of guilt, namely because I was in the passenger seat when it took a poo-poo.:(

It's alive?
Wow, that was quick. LOL :D

I miss clowning around in the garage with you guys. Let me know when the work day will be, and I’ll try to beat down my kids (and wife) enough to slide out the door. I still feel a level of guilt, namely because I was in the passenger seat when it took a poo-poo.:(

Hell, this problem started during our 800 mile roundtrip to Jakes' to get the tranny for the Mav built. Thought it was bad gas, but found the continual heat soak on the WG hose took it's toll. I've got two more wheels to polish and insurance to buy before it sees the streets again! :D What are you driving now since the Lightning sold?

Still looks pretty good cleaned up! I had to look back through my build sheets to see that it's first drive was 01-10-2003...

Attachments

• s100_1776.jpg
    s100_1776.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 239
Looks good! I want to do a s10 build myself someday but I have to have a ext cab. :biggrin:

Make sure the same problem doesn't get this motor. ;)

Cool little truck,what does it say on the hood bulge?

I don't seem to have a pic of the hood where the glare isn't so bad, but it's basically a pair of my "3.8L SFI Turbo" chrome vinyl stickers in a different font.

Looks good! I want to do a s10 build myself someday but I have to have a ext cab. :biggrin:

Make sure the same problem doesn't get this motor. ;)

Again, no picture but all of the WG hoses are now inside fiberglass-looking heat shield fabric tubing. So I hope that little "problem" will not reappear!