You can type here any text you want

Tech Advise Please =)

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GNGAL

86 GN T-Top
Hi all... so I put my after market rims on and they look good... BUT... the front is all off. I measured from the outer lip of the rim to the bottom edge of the fender... and the passenger side is 1" less than the driver side.

So when I drive, the slightest little bump causes the passenger side tire to hit.... im guessing the inner fender well. Any suggestions on what it might be? Has stock front springs. Maybe bad shock? Ball joints?

Im in Chicago... and rolling out EARLY Friday morning for Detroit and the HRPT.

...Sigh... always somethin' =(

Measure from the frame to the outside of the tire and see if there is a difference. Many g-bodies do not have the body straight on the frame from the factory and the 25 year old body bushings don't help. I had to adjust mine about the same as you stated.

You can loosen the body mounts under the radiator support and try to move the nose over to center it.

Body mounts and springs are the only things that adjust body height. I'd bed the side thats lower has a pancaked body mount.

Measure from frame to ground behind each front tire, that should tell you if the springs are equal.

I read that wrong. Your are saying side to side. My bad. Good luck. Take lots of pics for the rest of us.

Hey do yourself a favor and put your stock wheels back on for the Tour otherwise we are going to be on the side of the road. I went through the same thing during 2009 Power Tour and had to trailor my car home becuase of a sliced passenger tire. It's not a quick fix to move your body over and time is ticking. We are cruising up on Friday but make sure you call if you have problems. It's common for the body to be 1" towards the drivers side on our cars. ------Jeremy

Listen to Jeremy..... dont rush to do this .... you are gonna miss out on the tour ....

Murphy's law dictates: this close to the HRPT, once you disassemble, something else will be needed or happen....

aaron

I hope you make it down here GNGAL. I'll be glad to help you out if you have any issues and explain in person how these chasis work.:) I'll even provide my number so I can help you out on the road or what ever.;) The body isn't exactly on center from the factory and if there's any other issues you can cut a tire as well as a few other issues.:( I even have a few spare parts that I can offer at what I paid for them if you make it this far south.:cool:

Measure from the frame to the outside of the tire and see if there is a difference. Many g-bodies do not have the body straight on the frame from the factory and the 25 year old body bushings don't help. I had to adjust mine about the same as you stated.

You can loosen the body mounts under the radiator support and try to move the nose over to center it.
you can actually do that because i got 20,000 mile my bushings look new.so i loosen the radiator support bushing and move it over is that something hard or will it move easy. Cause it looks like my front passenger wheel is of a little.thank's ill try.

I have some body mounts in stock but don't know about getting it done before the tour.

Like already mentioned, I would try and move body over on the frame. Another thing we might be able to do is install some big bump stops on the lower a arms to limit suspension travel.

Rick

I've actually got this same exact issue. What is involved in shifting the body? A few of you mentioned the body bolts under the radiator support, how many need to be loose to move the nose? Also, how did you guys go about shifting the body, just pushing on the body or trying to pry it from below? Any advice would be appreciated and it seems like this has come up a few times lately as well on here. Thanks!

I've actually got this same exact issue. What is involved in shifting the body? A few of you mentioned the body bolts under the radiator support, how many need to be loose to move the nose? Also, how did you guys go about shifting the body, just pushing on the body or trying to pry it from below? Any advice would be appreciated and it seems like this has come up a few times lately as well on here. Thanks!
That is pretty much what I would do, loosen the front two, IF it only needed to be moved slightly up front, and IF the mounts are in good/decent condition. If they are shot, there will probably be a lot more to do that just nudging it over.

check your passenger side upper control arm bushings....they deteriorate from the downpipe heat .

Would the control arm bushing being shot be enough to cause this type of body movement, I could see that coupled with the body bushings, but I'm pretty sure my body bushings are not too bad. Just curious.

Your Core Support is an Inch or less off to the Drivers Side.....Most GN's/T-type Front Clip is set-off to the Drivers side for Down pipe clearance, I know sounds funny an you'll say, "no way" but it's a fact!! Nobody noticed or could notice inch or less off set with narrow tires underneath the front from production They're not assembled like Lexus's..
If you want to run the widest front tire you can,You'll have to set the Radiator Core Support plum,Modifie the wheel wells in the rear portion (remove that Hump), an roll the fender lip make your inner fender an outer One Piece (take the horizontal portion out off the top outer edge) ..(Photo below) I run 255/40-18 Falken Azenis in Front. Lower the ride height with maxium tire size means more an more work.

IMG_0105GN 2-10-12.JPG

Other thing to be aware of is swapping a-arm's, some set the wheel out more along with disk brake kits.

For a ""cheap"" easy fix for pass. front tire rub only, you can buy "Spring Rubbers",they slide in the coil springs like cork screw an raise the fender off the tire. Your turbo,washer fluid an battery are on the side,along with many many mile body bushings,Passenger side always dips more in corners an over bumps

Had, i stress, I Had ,the same issue..

Enjoy!

Tons of great advise.. Thanks guys !

The spring spacer worked great for a temporary fix and I made it all the way to Texas.. back home.. and back up to Chicago. But I will be putting on new springs and bushings as soon as I get back to Stl at the end of June. Phew.... what a month of travelling ! !

PM me girl and I'll be happy to give you some help with the suspension.:) If you need my number I'll be happy to talk you through what you need to do so that the car will be what you want.:;)

Back