You can type here any text you want

th350 late shift problems

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Ssmnt408

I put a th350 in my monte until I can rebuild my 200 4r. When I first got it the 1-2 shift was horrible, it shifted about 2 seconds after I shifted it, the 2-3 was the same. I installed a shift kit and the 1-2 shift time was cut in half and the 2-3 became instant and firm. The 1-2 shift is driving me nuts. Is there any way to fix this without getting into the guts of the tranny?

Thanks in advance,
Brian

A quick fix possibly.

It depends on if the shift kit you installed came with a new spacer plate or not. If the shift kit came with a new spacer plate than this little fix WILL NOT WORK.

On the drivers side of the transmission case{about in the middle of the case} is the 1-2 accum housing {it's right behind the kickdown cable}. Remove the wire ring around the cover, remove the cover and o-ring { you will loose a little bit of fluid}, remove the spring, and then cut a piece of conduit or solid rod about 1/2'' longer than the spring, and put the rod/conduit in place of the spring, re-assemble and hang on to your teeth. :biggrin:

Hope this helps.

Mike

spacer plate? is that the plate that goes between th e valve body and the tranny? the shift kit I got had me drill different holes in it. What will happen if I do it anyway?

On the drivers side of the transmission case{about in the middle of the case} is the 1-2 accum housing {it's right behind the kickdown cable}. Remove the wire ring around the cover, remove the cover and o-ring { you will loose a little bit of fluid}, remove the spring, and then cut a piece of conduit or solid rod about 1/2'' longer than the spring, and put the rod/conduit in place of the spring, re-assemble and hang on to your teeth.

this sounds like a pretty easy fix, is this bad for the tranny in any way, would putting a stiffer spring in help also???

Brian

Ssmnt408 said:
spacer plate? is that the plate that goes between th e valve body and the tranny? the shift kit I got had me drill different holes in it. What will happen if I do it anyway?

Yes, the spacer plate goes between the valve body and trans case. The reason I asked if you got a new spacer plate with the shift kit is; that they block the feed hole to the 1-2 accum so it doesn't soften the 1-2 shift, which is what i'm having you do by blocking the accum with the conduit/solid rod {basically stoping the 1-2 accum action}.

If your shift kit had you just drilling your exsisting spacer plate, then try what i was telling you with the 1-2 accum. If you got a new spacer plate with the shift kit, doing what i suggested is a waste of time.

Jason

Yedi said:
this sounds like a pretty easy fix, is this bad for the tranny in any way, would putting a stiffer spring in help also???

It is pretty easy to do. It will make the trans shift a lot firmer. Is it bad for the tranny? I don't thing so in most perfromance applications. Most shift kits on the market that come with a spacer plate removes the 1-2 accum function anyways. The shift kits that don't come with a spacer plate have you removing the spring all together or installing a spring so stiff that it might as well be solid. Either way the 1-2 accum function is eliminated or restricted.

Back