TH400 conversion... driveshaft pics...

Here is my experience with doing 3 TH400 swaps. Every car measures different. Cals stock uncut driveshaft was used for a long time before he went to an aluminum. On my car the stock shaft worked with a short yoke. On moderators Jesses car the shaft had to be cut 1/2 or 3/4 in to work right.

For a diptick use the lokar unit. Very easy to install and the bracket can be mounted in a variety of angles. And for a drop on mount use the HRparts unit. :cool:

Louie...

Can you tell me exactly what wheel & tire sizes and offsets you were using in this old photo of your car ???

That's EXACTLY the stance and look I'm trying to acheive with mine. :cool:

louielopez.jpg

yullose said:
Louie...

Can you tell me exactly what wheel & tire sizes and offsets you were using in this old photo of your car ???

louielopez.jpg

Damn that thing looked good...

The fronts were 15x3.5 with 165R15 tires.
The rears were 15x8in 4.5 BS with a 1/4 in. spacer. Tires were 28x11.5 ET streets.Which BTW didnt hook worth a crap.
Stock springs all around.

Thanks for the info... Just so happens I have a set of Pro-stars in those sizes... :D

Was the frame notched at all ? or was that done later ?

yullose said:
Thanks for the info... Just so happens I have a set of Pro-stars in those sizes... :D

Was the frame notched at all ? or was that done later ?

No that was done later when i moved up to the 15x10 Convos (5in BS)

yullose said:
Louie...

louielopez.jpg

Looks a lot like the stance my old GN had.....28x12.50 ET Streets tucked in nice and tight on 15x8 Welds. :D I'm keeping an eye on this thread as the T will be getting a TH400 in the not too distant future. OD is nice, but I like not breaking the bank to build a trans that will survive.

Carpics006.jpg

Lonnie Ive loved that car for YEARS but never knew who owned it! Man major props that car is just perfect looking and is exactly how I want my familys we4 to look :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: I think that car is amazingly perfect :biggrin:

Got my Welds on today. :D

15x3's with 26x4.5's up front and 15x7's / 3.5" backspace with 28x11.5's out back.

87gnwelds01.JPG

PaCemkr86 said:
now it looks complete.. nice job buddy

Thanks ! :cool:

It's a shame the factory GN wheels weigh so dang much...
I really like the factory sleeper look, but just can't get over how much they weigh with a set of radials mounted on them. These Welds with tubeless MT ET's hardly weigh anything at all. I'll bet I just took 100lbs of unsprung weight off my car.

What what all do I need for a TH400 swap?

1. Tranny itself (thank you captain obvious)
2. I'm assuming some kind of bellhousing adapter?
3. Driveshaft
4. Dipstick

And I can use my stock console shifter right? I'm really trying to keep the interior and exterior looking as stock as possible.

The 400 is available with a BOP bellhousing that bolts right to your motor. You will need a different torque converter, shorter driveshaft with a 400 yoke on the trans side, new shifter or modify your stock gate pattern, your 2004r dipstick will work by spacing it off the bellhousing about an inch

I only had to shorten mine ~ 1/4", but it depends on the HD yoke used as well I guess.

TurboTR

Just chopped the front coils on my car too...

Now I've got the "look" I was after... :cool:

87gnwelds.JPG

Also... FWIW...

I'm in the process of having modified shifter gates manufactured for our cars.
This way you can retain the factory Buick shifter when using a reverse pattern 3-speed trans.

I will update this thread when I have them in my hands...

Banning was kind enough to animate these pictures for me. :cool:

attachment.php

front springs

Yullose, how much did you cut off your front springs? I like the way your car sits.