TH400 The real answer

charliep said:
Jeff,

That's great to hear. We are going to see what our current trans builder has to say tonight. I would really rather switch over to the 400 and be done with it
Lonnie also offered to have my local transmission builder call him so they could discuss the modifications that needed to be done. This might be an option if you stay with the 200 4R.
Jeff

+1 on the Carl Rossler TH400.
I've gotten two trannys from him the last few years. One went in a 632 powered Camaro, the other went in a 555 powered Chevelle.

If you look on the home page of his website, about 1/2 way down the page on the RH side is a pic of my Camaro and a brief comment I sent him. :cool:

FWIW, I too just made the switch to a TH400 in my '87 GN.
I just cannot justify dumping $2000+ into an inferior transmission.

jakeshoe said:
I don't know where these extremely over exaggerated weights come from for these transmission.

I personally weighed a complete TH350 short shaft, TH400 short shaft, and 4L80E I have in the shop about a month ago.
The Th350 is almost exactly 125 lbs. The TH400 is 135 lbs, and the 4L80E is 173 lbs.

Thas is approximately a 40 lb difference, not 100...

thank you for posting that, I thought 100 was quite inflated but I could not say for certain...

Norbs...why couldn't you get that kind of converter for a 4L80? There are all kinds of converters out there for it...vigilante, yank, TCI...etc.

Not only does the 4L80 offer custom tuneability but you can control it in a number of different ways, and if you don't like the idea of adding something like the beauman transmission controller I think someone came out with a manual setup for it ie reverse manual valve body. It would take over 600 horse/torque to get close to hurting one in stock form, they are just as tough as the old th400

Thanks for all of the responses. Keep them coming. I'm very familiar with the Ford C4 and powerglide from my own racing experiences. I owned a low 9 second Mustang and presently own a Dragster that runs Low 8's with a SBF. I did what everyone else does when I needed a 2004r. I read everything I could on the internet and called several of the vendors until I made the decision to buy one. What you read everyone saying their trans does this and that and can handle 800HP yada yada yada. Where do they get their info from? Do they have a customer making 800HP that tests their transmission? I doubt it.

I just finished helping a friend do a Baumanator on a Lightning. I dont wish that on anybody. The software is not user friendly. This is not for the average person. Now the TCI trans controller, thats a much better unit in my opinion. In Baumans defense they stood behind the product and assisted us in getting it running.

Also I dont think a 200R4 is inferior. It serves it purpose very well within its design. When built properly with the correct parts ($$$) it will last a long time. Lonnie and Bruce have demontrated this.

If you are willing to spend the money the 200R 4 all the way. But if you are a racer on a budget and dont mind loosing OD the 400 is best. :cool:

charliep said:
Turbo regal valve body, extra clutches, roller assemblies, billet input shaft etc......Are you running a 200R4 and what power level.
These parts you list have no effect on how long the direct clutches live. Your clutches are frying because the builder didn't properly coordinate the two events that take place during a 2-3 upshift. The third gear clutches have to be applied at the same time the band is nocked off. If these two events don't happen at the right time the band and the clutches suffer.
When these two events are propperly coordinated the direct clutches live well into the nines. The reason you don't flair going into second gear is because there is only one event taking place during a 1-2 upshift. Do you think the material on the band is any tougher than the material on the direct clutches? If the timing of a 2-3 upshift isn't correct there's no clutch on this planet that would servive very long. The most important question to ask is how do we acheive propper timing.

charliep said:
Stupid question??? At the power level that everyone claims the trans can take and the cost in excess of $2500 bucks how come nobody gives a good warranty like one year on these things? After all I can't hurt it!!
They shure make big claims when you buy them don't they. I agree that they should put there warranty where their mouth is. I totally sympathise with you. It took me fifteen years to get my 2004r to shift good going into thid. So please understand that I'm right there with you.

charliep said:
I'm beginning to think that the real reason these 2004r hold up is due to the lack of low end torque of the turbo cars. The turbo's spool up a bit before making power. The N/A motor like our Olds motor makes power down low where the 1-2 shift is occuring.
How much torque do you suppose a 900 hp turbo Buick makes at the 1-2 shift launching off a trans break?I'm shure it makes over 1,000 Lb/Ft.

Jeff Rand said:
Well long story short after going through my issues with the 200 4R Lonnie convinced me to send it to him for a modification and rebuild (the cost was one third of what I was typically paying). He said if it did not hold up for a year he would rebuild the trans. for free. That was 8 months ago and I have not gone over to the 400.
Jeff
Hey look! Heres a guy putting his time and money where his mouth is. I'll bet you this isn't a betting man. I'll bet you he already knows the outcome. I suppose there's a chance that he's a total idiot,but I wouldn't bet on it.

Louie L. said:
At 10.80s my PMAC 200R4 was running like a champ. Never had any issues with it. I eventually swapped over to the TH400 when i decided to step up the program and the PMAC was solid and able to be sold.. At that time I didnt think the 200R4 would last and the real fancy 200s were lots of money. A local trans shop built me a TH400 with a transbrake. I have over 150 est. passes on it in 4 years. Never had any issues but with the transbrake early on. I have ran this trans from 10.60s to 9.20s. Still working great.There is nothing fancy inside and it still amazes me how durable they are.
SO THIS IS A 2004R SUCCESS STORY, RIGHT? Are you saying you didn't have any billet parts?

FWIW, I too just made the switch to a TH400 in my '87 GN.
I just cannot justify dumping $2000+ into an inferior transmission.[/QUOTE] Is the 400 ultimately superior to the 2004r? Yes,but not at these power levels. I remember when Quadrajet carbs where refered to as Quadrajunk.Where they junk? Are they junk? No,but they are to some one who doesn't know how to make them work. 2004r transmissions prepared by people who understand how they work handle over 900 Lb/Ft of torque. This story reminds me of my stupid computer. It turned out to be me who was the stupid one. I found out that my computer always does what I tell it to do. Every 2004r that burns direct clutches is doing exactly what its builder is telling it to do.

charliep said:
Do they have a customer making 800HP that tests their transmission? I doubt it.
There are plenty living at these levels,but I think this is a very reasonable and fair question. Are any of the ones they build living in that environment? Just having hard parts that can handle 800 hp doesn't mean the clutches will survive.

Interesting statment above. Are they betting men??? I think yes. It's not unlike what Performance automatic does with their C4's for Fords. They charge a bunch of money for making all the mods possible knowing that most guys will never make the power to hurt one or keep their car long enough or just walk away and bitch if they have a problem. Offer a warranty for life and hope you only get enought back for repair that you still make money. Sounds like betting to me. I personally learned from experience that the C4 can not handle power I was making and I was at a point where I could get 40-50 passes before clutches. Never broke any hard parts just clutches. Unfortunatatly I'm at that learning curve with the 2004R. You might think these can handle 500 HP but they don't. Put them in a healthy street car with some 1/4 mile passes and you hurt clutches.

from my own experience and from what I know others experience a dependable 500 is possible, it's when you go above and beyond the normal 400-500 horse turbo buick, those guys making much more than that are the ones I notice having issues after supposedly having a professionally built transmission

There aren't too many transmissions out there of any make that are going to handle consistent passes in 800 horse cars, be reasonable in your assumptions and you won't be let down.

I daily drive mine and it has tons of torque down low. Granted, I have billet whoo-daddys and hardened this and thats in my BRF2004R built by a Turbo Buick shop in Richardson, Texas.

These trannys have to be built right or they won't last. I probably have close to $1500-2500 in mine, I don't keep track. Been 3 years since a teardown, and that was for a tiny piece of metal that kept me from going into lockup. It has eaten a few governor springs over the past few seasons on 3rd gear deccel, but other than that the lowly 200 has survived 695 rear wheel torque from my 3300# Buick on the dyno...Oh, I broke an axle off the foot brake last time I went racing if that means anything.

Since you already have a BRF valve body, I'd chalk your losses up for experience and send it off to one of the reputable vendors of this forum *cough* PTS or CK *cough* for a built 200 with the good stuff in it, oh and bruce's deep pan is awesome ;)

charliep said:
TurboTnZ06 are you saying you make 695 Ft Lb torque and run 10.70's ?

I'm saying I dynoed 594 rwhp and 695 rwtq. On my first pass here at Bradenton I left the line easy, maybe 1-2 psi boost I didn't have much time, ran 10.921 @ 126.95. Next pass, I built about 5-6 psi boost off the foot brake and when I tried to leave the light, I couldn't because I twisted my driver side axle in half and she wasn't moving. Slid some Mosers in there and haven't been to the track since, but I have been daily driving for the past 9 months here in sunny FL. A 10.7 would be nice...tho I need a cage first.

I made about 25 passes in Denver at Bandimere running deep to mid 11's (no cage) at 120-125 mph last couple years.

In Dallas I made a bunch (40-50? I dunno) runs on this tranny with the TE44 going high 11's at 112-115.

I have about 10,000 miles on this tranny in the past 3 years since it was last apart. I had other rides I'd drive for a while so the Buick doesn't have that many miles, although they are hard chargin miles. Two sets of BFG DR's out back and 3 sets of street tires in 10,000 miles..hmmm...Maybe I should run something bigger than 225 60 on the street:)

Aside from the internal hard parts, a big factor in durabilty between the 200 and the 400 is the size of the clutch material and friction plates. The 400 is larger and ulitimately more durable for that reason. There great tranny builders that build an excellent 2004r transmission that can handle big power. The question becomes for how many passes at a specific power level.

My understanding of the TH400 is that the clutch surface area is larger. Also if you use a manual valve body the internal pressure is higher.

We just got off the phone with our trans guy. I will say this. From the beginning this guy has been the most stand up guy I have ever met. I share his views on making the customer happy and as a business owner myself I respect that. He has gone out of his way to make this right and we are going to take him up his offer to replace the trans with a TH400. This car is a daily driver used for short trips and occasional trips to the drag strip. We are willing to give up the OD to gain the strength of the TH400. I'll keep eveyone updated on our results.