Thanks I just bought #020

Welcome to the club! Maybe you should try buffing the car before painting it. If it still has the original lacquer, you can knock the orange peel down a little with light buffing and it cleans up real nice.

I'm glad to hear you got the original drivetrain with it. You may not think you need it now, but in the future it will add thousands to the car when it is sold as numbers matching.

Enjoy!

I'm glad to hear you got the original drivetrain with it. You may not think you need it now, but in the future it will add thousands to the car when it is sold as numbers matching.
Enjoy!

I don't know. I use to think the same way until original 1970 318 Dodge Challengers and Barracudas started to be "recreated" into 'Hemi' cars and sell for six figures plus!! Or what about that 68 Mustang fastback that left Dearborn with a lowly 6 and now 'recreated' into a GT500 and now sells for $100,000?? Maybe this will all change, but a GNX is STILL a GNX with a replacement block. People just don't seem to care as much today as say the 1980's when 'numbers matching' seemed more important. Just my 02 and no flames intended.

Ken B.

Maybe this will all change, but a GNX is STILL a GNX with a replacement block. People just don't seem to care as much today as say the 1980's when 'numbers matching' seemed more important.
Ken B.

Couldn't disagree more. I respect your opinion, but I think you're mixing apples and oranges in your analogy. A clone is a clone (and BTW the GN is too good a car to be a "wannabe")-- but this is a separate issue from the discussion of obtaining the original engine that went with a particular car-- the REAL THING if you will.

Hypothetical question: Say you've got a a genuine Shelby Cobra (now powered with a 350SB from '73 when nobody cared about "matching" numbers). What would you pay to reunite your car with the original 427 that Mr. Shelby shoehorned between its fenderwells when it was new? Nowadays, this would add 50% to the value-- so your $500,000 car just became a $750,000 car conservatively.

I personally know two people in the last year who have paid big bucks to obtain the original numbered blocks to their cars-- one a Hemicuda and the other a Shelby GT-500. And the matching hemi engine and trans were very low 6 figures. I would submit that the TR's are already showing signs of being THE HP Mopars and Shelby Cobras of the '80s! And remember they made THOUSANDS of Shelbys from the Cobras through the re-vinned '69s. But they made only 547 GNX's, and for one year only.

So just because a clone may bring big bucks has nothing to do with the value of a numbers-matching car (that is, original engine, turbo, and tranny all of which are NUMBERED to each X.) It does matter, and it's mattering more each day as the years tick past 20.

As I understand it, the buyer did wisely obtain the original engine, trans, and turbo for #20. This is important-- maybe not for what he plans to do with the car which is up to him for sure-- but at least he recognized the need to keep these critical parts in the corner of his garage for the future.

Only my 2 cents.

Doug

So just because a clone may bring big bucks has nothing to do with the value of a numbers-matching car (that is, original engine, turbo, and tranny all of which are NUMBERED to each X.) It does matter, and it's mattering more each day as the years tick past 20.

Right on the money Doug. No matter what factory made make/model car, it will ALWAYS bring more money with a numbers matching drivetrain. Serious collectors are spending serious money when it come to numbers matching cars.

Question, On the speedo in this car why has it been changed or why is the needel different?? Also are the original parts removed from this car forsale??

the speedo has not been changed. it is a early gnx. Go to buickgnx.com shows same speeds. and no parts are for sale except exhaust

It is part way apart for paint already. You can go to bars behind cars web sight he has a bunch on his.

Couldn't disagree more. I respect your opinion, but I think you're mixing apples and oranges in your analogy. A clone is a clone (and BTW the GN is too good a car to be a "wannabe")-- but this is a separate issue from the discussion of obtaining the original engine that went with a particular car-- the REAL THING if you will.

Hypothetical question: Say you've got a a genuine Shelby Cobra (now powered with a 350SB from '73 when nobody cared about "matching" numbers). What would you pay to reunite your car with the original 427 that Mr. Shelby shoehorned between its fenderwells when it was new? Nowadays, this would add 50% to the value-- so your $500,000 car just became a $750,000 car conservatively.

I personally know two people in the last year who have paid big bucks to obtain the original numbered blocks to their cars-- one a Hemicuda and the other a Shelby GT-500. And the matching hemi engine and trans were very low 6 figures. I would submit that the TR's are already showing signs of being THE HP Mopars and Shelby Cobras of the '80s! And remember they made THOUSANDS of Shelbys from the Cobras through the re-vinned '69s. But they made only 547 GNX's, and for one year only.

As I understand it, the buyer did wisely obtain the original engine, trans, and turbo for #20. This is important-- maybe not for what he plans to do with the car which is up to him for sure-- but at least he recognized the need to keep these critical parts in the corner of his garage for the future.

Only my 2 cents.

Doug

I agree why would someone modified it when they can do it to a regular gn that has a sh...t load of miles..... maybe the person that owned it before did not know anything about the gnx or maybe he did and didn't care about it what a joke in my opinion GNX#20 DOWN THE DRAIN. Know we all know about it

The way I see it, what does a modification matter if it can be reversed? I mean, I could swap a turbo in a half hour if I worked fast enough. At this stage, car are gonna need replacement part; including low mileage GNXs. And IMO most of the parts would be beneficial to the car's health.

Maybe its just me. I know these cars (all inclusive) are gonna be worth some money, especially the GNXs & TTAs. If the car is sold with all the original parts included, whats it matter if its modified.

If I were to buy a low mileage GNX or TTA, it would get all the basic upgrades any TR would get. Just for the cars sake of staying together. And most of those basic mods are fully reverisble.

Just my .02 for what its worth.

Whats the big deal?:confused:

Every change on the car can be put back. or i can sell the oe parts. I do not care if it is stock or not I wanted a fast street car it is just a bonus it's a gnx. Numbers matching or not I can say I have a gnx. If you ghace a gto judge and you change the enging you still have a judge

Congrats on your purchase of the GNX, its your car, you can do what you want with it, if you take pride and pleasure from it thats all that counts!!!

Anything the factory can do, can be done better and enhanced afterwards to fit the owner / drivers requirements.

I have modified 017, anything can be replaced backed to original if needed by the next caretaker / owner.

ENJOY!!!

well here is the car getting ready for paint i will add pictures step by step. I hope it will be done by bg. i still want to take the body off the frame and have that done also

Attachments

• DSC01153.jpg
    DSC01153.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 273