You can type here any text you want

That little black thing on the power wire by the battery.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

84BuickGNYorkPA

Daily Driving Buick V-6 Turbo's 1979 - Present
I was thinking today, I bypassed that black thing on the ECM power wire by the battery when my wire broke at it some time ago. It seems about every year or so I'm replacing the ECM since, is this related?

My TT SD chip is having trouble keeping it's parameters locked in, I went to check them today after the car acted like it had fuel problem. I go through and reset each parameter(some where crazy off), but as I am the bl value is jumping from the current value that I''m trying to set (1 through 20) and 35, a fast back and forth flash, until I let off the gas pedal then it locks in at the bl value. So I check the parameter and if it's off I reset it, when I was done I recheck the parameters from the beginning and they didn't stay....

Looks like I'm ready to pull the ECM and make sure the Power Logger board is still tight on the ECM board, maybe even take it on and off a few times to "seat" it in. Then if I'm still having trouble, replace the ECM after setting another one up for the Power Logger piggy back board. And I'm sure that when I do, the car will be good again for about 12 months. The SM will show all it's values rock steady as I set each parameter to my known good settings ...

Am I missing something? By the way, the card is usually seated good when I pull the ECM out of passenger kick panel, I have a stack of used/bad ecm's(always keep a spare for this reason). Wondering if that black thing somehow kept the voltage to the ECM from spiking, maybe it's all just a coincidence....

Chuck

I was thinking today, I bypassed that black thing on the ECM power wire by the battery when my wire broke at it some time ago. It seems about every year or so I'm replacing the ECM since, is this related?

My TT SD chip is having trouble keeping it's parameters locked in, I went to check them today after the car acted like it had fuel problem. I go through and reset each parameter(some where crazy off), but as I am the bl value is jumping from the current value that I''m trying to set (1 through 20) and 35, a fast back and forth flash, until I let off the gas pedal then it locks in at the bl value. So I check the parameter and if it's off I reset it, when I was done I recheck the parameters from the beginning and they didn't stay....

Looks like I'm ready to pull the ECM and make sure the Power Logger board is still tight on the ECM board, maybe even take it on and off a few times to "seat" it in. Then if I'm still having trouble, replace the ECM after sWondering if that black thing somehow kept the voltage to the ECM from spiking, maybe it's all just a coincidenceback to 128, changed my black t

That "black think" is one of the power wires to the ECM! More specifically, it is the "keep alive" voltage for volitile memory and many other functions. Unplug it and the car wont start/run, and it resets the memory.

I think he means the fusible link in the connection from the battery to the ECM

So it's a fuseable link... I guess I should replace it, doubt that could be related to my problem. Thanks for the reply's

Chuck

the black thing is not the fusible link , a fusible link is a short lentgh of wire that will burn apart (melt open) when pushed over its amperage rating
that black thing is just to cover the joining point of the fusible link wire and the std wire , and on that black joint gm also marked the amperage rating

Thanks Paul, so sounds like I'm on a course to know where. Maybe it's time to have the alternator rebuilt/replaced, thinking something is damaging the ecm, possibly the regulator is not rock solid.... I don't know... any thought's out there?

Edit: The power logger board was down a little on the ecm, I took the ecm apart and when I pushed up on the board, it went up about 1/8".... I didn't put it back in the car yet, but pretty sure that was the problem. I put fresh velcro strip to hold the board on and added a second pc. just above the USB port for the SM, since that was the side that was down..... I should get it installed tomorrow to try it out.

Chuck

Back