The J&S Safeguard questions

b4black

Anybody using a J&S Safeguard?
http://www.jandssafeguard.com/index.html

Do you like it? Is it easy to set up?

Just thinking out loud....trying to see if I can do away with the stock ECM on my '82. This would control knock retard and timing, right? Then use a traditional carb (non-CCC) like a Holley, I could run E85.

hmmm.....

WarWagon

Caustic Cacophony
Im worth ignoring.
J&S is expensive but great option. It does all it is tasked to do. I do not own one but have installed and setup a few on turbo Corvairs.

b4black

Great. Do you know if it will work with the computer controlled HEI distributor, or will it need something else?

I don't know why I didn't realize this before. This might be exactly what I need. I was considering a aftermarket EFI (Like a Fast or Holley Sniper), just to get better control over the knock retard. If this will handle all the ignition duties, then I can handle A/F with a non-CCC carb and a wideband.

WarWagon

Caustic Cacophony
J&S Universal box works great with a computer controlled distributor, It's a high energy inductive type ignition, variable dwell. It's still a lot of money for the features and safety but worth it.

b4black

While I like the computer controls, I really want to run this car off E85. After some checking, it seems the Quadrajet can use E85, but maybe not the electronic version. So....

I'm thinking about ditching the ECM
Using a 1979 Turbo V6 carb set up for E85
Getting that HEI distributor from top street performance
Locking up the 350C TCC manually
and letting the Safeguard handle the knock retard.

Am I missing something? I've fought with the stock knock retard long enough and need to try something else.

WarWagon

Caustic Cacophony
John, Thanks for clarification on the dip switches!
Also thanks to Shawn I got his Safeguard and installed it on my newly built turbo Corvair. Works great and I'm happy with not relying on 53 year old pressure retard controls.
I haven't had a Safeguard on a Buick yet but I'll be doing it soon.

WarWagon

Caustic Cacophony
You should have no issues installing on the '79. This will completely eliminate the stock timing computer/ESC. But NOT the carb control, still need the brain box to run it. I don't remember if your Essex had a carb computer

no carb computer, 650 holley Qjet, with draw thru.
Thanks, that is what I was hoping for. Any special issues installing the J and S system? gremlins, etc?