The J&S Safeguard questions

b4black

Anybody using a J&S Safeguard?
http://www.jandssafeguard.com/index.html

Do you like it? Is it easy to set up?

Just thinking out loud....trying to see if I can do away with the stock ECM on my '82. This would control knock retard and timing, right? Then use a traditional carb (non-CCC) like a Holley, I could run E85.

hmmm.....

Im worth ignoring.
J&S is expensive but great option. It does all it is tasked to do. I do not own one but have installed and setup a few on turbo Corvairs.

Great. Do you know if it will work with the computer controlled HEI distributor, or will it need something else?

I don't know why I didn't realize this before. This might be exactly what I need. I was considering a aftermarket EFI (Like a Fast or Holley Sniper), just to get better control over the knock retard. If this will handle all the ignition duties, then I can handle A/F with a non-CCC carb and a wideband.

J&S Universal box works great with a computer controlled distributor, It's a high energy inductive type ignition, variable dwell. It's still a lot of money for the features and safety but worth it.

While I like the computer controls, I really want to run this car off E85. After some checking, it seems the Quadrajet can use E85, but maybe not the electronic version. So....

I'm thinking about ditching the ECM
Using a 1979 Turbo V6 carb set up for E85
Getting that HEI distributor from top street performance
Locking up the 350C TCC manually
and letting the Safeguard handle the knock retard.

Am I missing something? I've fought with the stock knock retard long enough and need to try something else.

Mallory unilite if you want to use a smaller cap and gain room.
The rest of the parts and ideas are good.

It's about $700. Not cheap, but not expensive if you compare aftermarket EFI systems.

John, Thanks for clarification on the dip switches!
Also thanks to Shawn I got his Safeguard and installed it on my newly built turbo Corvair. Works great and I'm happy with not relying on 53 year old pressure retard controls.
I haven't had a Safeguard on a Buick yet but I'll be doing it soon.

Just bought the J&S system. Any issues with wiring it into the '79 Turbo. Does it totally eliminate the ECM? Dan

You should have no issues installing on the '79. This will completely eliminate the stock timing computer/ESC. But NOT the carb control, still need the brain box to run it. I don't remember if your Essex had a carb computer

no carb computer, 650 holley Qjet, with draw thru.
Thanks, that is what I was hoping for. Any special issues installing the J and S system? gremlins, etc?

You will be good to go and no hangups. The J&S will be your new entire ignition system using the distributor.

Hey Dan, any update on this? Is it installed?

Did you get the knock retard monitor gauge with it?

Hey Dan, any update on this? Is it installed?

Did you get the knock retard monitor gauge with it?
Well, I got the system, looked at the schematics and said" this is gonna require more time and expertise than I have". Things are very tight under the dash board and I' m hesitant to start!!!! John's drawing shows cars with a coil, not an HEI coil. So I just need to follow along
with connecting to the HEI coil and the best way to do it. Not really scared to start, just hesitant.
Dan

So, here is a question to start with; once I disconnect the ECM and set it on the bench, I am left with the connection from the distributor that has 4 wires in a round connector. I need to know the function of each wire, brown, black, white and green then how to splice them into the safe guards system. Oh, then there is the pink and purple wires. The knock sensor is not an issue since I bought one with the kit. THIS IS GOING TO GET INTERESTING!!!