The new GM High tech. Wrinkled 1/4!!

boostingbuick

Going to be buried in this.
Anyone have the June GMHT? I was going to bolt up my new slicks and try for some Mid-tens on PG when I saw the wrinkled quarters on the launch of the T-type. Anyone know how to keep this at bay without a cage? I think I will not run the slicks because I don't want my super clean car to be buckled. Is this only for car with frame notches? Mine is not notched. Just got me worried and at a time where I am really happy with my car.:frown:

Caged cars do this too. I think it's a function of a large sway bar. I've seen it most on cars running 1.45's and faster with a wolfe or hr bar. I've seen it on more wolfe bars than HR bars. Heavy frame notching doesn't help this either.

The only fix is probably bring two more cage mount points to the very rear.

Anyone have the June GMHT? I was going to bolt up my new slicks and try for some Mid-tens on PG when I saw the wrinkled quarters on the launch of the T-type. Anyone know how to keep this at bay without a cage? I think I will not run the slicks because I don't want my super clean car to be buckled. Is this only for car with frame notches? Mine is not notched. Just got me worried and at a time where I am really happy with my car.:frown:

You can plate the frame and weld in some other bracing. Unless your car is REALLY fast, you'll be fine.

We're within driving distance and could take care of that for you. Give me a call at the shop. 919 207 0677

There is a video of disco stu's car wrinkling the rear fender on a nasty wheels up launch. I will try to find it.

Yep, that's with a cross brace, poly body mounts (which might magnify the problem) and extra cage mounting points to the rear frame horns. Gonna have to rectify this problem before paint. Luckily the dent pops right back out without any damage so far. :redface:

That is what I don't want to do. I have spoken to a few people and think I have a solution.

Yep, that's with a cross brace, poly body mounts (which might magnify the problem) and extra cage mounting points to the rear frame horns. Gonna have to rectify this problem before paint. Luckily the dent pops right back out without any damage so far. :redface:

Your car launches so nasty :eek:

My car was doing that bad last year. We added these bars in the trunk and it solved the problem:)
100_1472.jpg

Kevin,mine is similiar, but I don't the the cross bar on the cage points to the crossmember like yours. Been thinking about redoing it something like that.

Thanks Black Power. :biggrin:

Kevin,mine is similiar, but I don't the the cross bar on the cage points to the crossmember like yours. Been thinking about redoing it something like that.

Thanks Black Power. :biggrin:

We did it that way so I would not have to redo my struts that hold the trunk up. A previous owner had a hacked up 6pt in the car and cut the torsion bars out to mount the rear part of the cage...all of which was just welded to the floor lol. The car usually does low 1.4 - high 1.3 60's. So far this year, all the photos do not show any wrinkling of the quarters.

Quick Six, try this link 100_1472.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting If that doesn't work, pm me your email address.

But I have no cage. And still would like to know what causes this. Does the rear part of the frame get pulled down from the upper control arms? And for all of you who are going to say , put a cage in it, I am not putting a cage in it. There must be a solution for this other than a cage.

John, I still like that video the best. That and Phil gettin threatened by the marshal at the tree.

But I have no cage. And still would like to know what causes this. Does the rear part of the frame get pulled down from the upper control arms? And for all of you who are going to say , put a cage in it, I am not putting a cage in it. There must be a solution for this other than a cage.

Hmm, dunno. I think what it is, is when the front end of the car is no longer supporting the weight and is just hanging there it is TRYING to pull the rear of the car up causing the body to flex. Gravity trying to pull the front end down/TRYING to lever the rear up causing the body flex. Not to mention the torsional forces which causes it to almost always be the drivers side. In any case, sounds scary without a cage. There is a night and day difference between rigidity with and without.

Thanks Dan.

lmao Phil is such a rebel

Dude you are probably not gonna wrinkle yours unless it is cutting some really nasty 60 fts.

Let's put it this way, if you are fast enough to wrinkle the fender, you need to have a cage and probably some chassis work also.