You can type here any text you want

The Numbers Game with the (SPI) Trunk ID Label - Kirban

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
kirban 2 cents worth

I don't think my Hurst answer lies in the DVD you guys have won....it is in that Hurst Heritage book....the DVD with the Hemi Cuda footage does not have the answer shown that I am aware of...

However, if you want send me a pm with your answer and I will confirm that the answer is NOT on that DVD....I am 99% certain it isn't that way you guys can participate.

will look at other posts later tonite busy at work.....I do have a day job.....

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

kirban 2 cents worth

Its been confirmed by 54rich the answer to my Hurst question lies in that Memories Hurst DVD...so if you have that DVD you can't play in this contest.

If no one hits the answer later this week I wil tell the answer since this one is not exactly fair....besides I have the next question already lined up.

I forgot about my Hurst DVD...

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

kirban 2 cents worth

On the factory astroroof question the answer I am seeking still has not been answered to match my answer. Above answer from 86 TR works it is not the one I am seeking...

that contest is still ticking

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

kirban 2 cents worth

On the Hurst trivia I am going to give the answer because unfortunately it is in the Hurst Heritage book and appears in my Hurst Memories DVD....

The logical answer would be engine mounts but that is not the answer I am seeking. Hurst did make various motor mount adopter kits to drop various V8 engines into other cars back in the mid 1950s and later. Matter of fact I have a few older friends who actually had their cars used as test beds for conversions.

The product that never got much attention because the company that made the cars started to do it themselves was the VW bugs and buses...

They were just starting to come to our shores and George Hurst started to make various big bumper guards for them. They are quite rare today. When VW saw a market for them they started to offer them which killed Hursts business for them.

Anyone that has been around the late 1950s VWs..knows their bumpers were quite weak....One of the very first VW dealers was in my area also one of the earliest Porsche franchises as well. Owner was a well known racer for Porsche until he got killed in a plane crash.

Course Hurst really hit the home run when they started making their shifters things started to really come together in the performance world and 4 speed shifters because an option in many performance cars....like the 6-speed shifter is today.

One of the last shifters Hurst made before Mr Gasket took over was the 5.0 Fox body Mustang 5-speed shifters back in 1984-1985.

Hurst had a good long run in the industry and left their mark. Although many of you may not be a Mopar fan the original pistol grip shifters they made are were highly sought after by Mopar owners. Like most items they have been reproduced.

New non Buick contest coming.......

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

will look at the latest trunk ID label later tonite.....shown above.

i think the sheetmetal is turned downward around the factory moonroof cutout, like it was stamped there. i don't think too many aftermarket sun/moonroof installations would be like that.

kirban 2 cens worth

On the astroroof question: all good answers above and while in some cases they are correct it is NOT the answer I am seeking.....

There is one tell tale quick visual easy way to know that the astroroof/sunroof in a turbo regal is a factory unit.

Alot of answers have been good answers but your missing the link I am thinking of.

Keep trying

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

kirban 2 cents worth

As promised next non Buick related trivia question

Prize value $25

Eligible anyone reading this post

One answer per guess in post only

Answer must match mine

Here is the question:

Its the early 1960s to mid 1960s.....I am thinking of a feature that was part of 99% of the performance cars during that time frame that you never see in any of the current muscle cars of today.

Read the clues carefully its a feature not an option.

What feature am I referring to????

The clock is ticking

good luck

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

kirban 2 cents worth

fastnasty trunk ID label

Its one of the early 1986 style with the lamination over the label. As it has been pointed out earlier in this thread some 1986s did not get this lamination over the label. With that in mind, I assume you have an early production date? (What date appears on your door jamb?

You got VD6 and VD7 which is good lite weight bumper supports. Also VK3 is the front license plate bracket probably car originally sold in state requiring front license plates, posi rear G80, GN code WE2 shows up,

IN 1986 5 radio options you got the top of the line UX1 unit, was $494.00
UW4 concert sound option in the doors, $95 option, CC1 t Tops $850 deal, they should be the locking style may not be if its an early one ( going by memory)

B34 and B35 was the good front and rear carpet savers, you got factory door edge guards B91, but no body side molding, You got power door locks and optional power trunk release. Button should be in glove box attached to upper lip.

T63 the cheap headlite buzzer $16 option,

A RARE OPTION T82 twillight sentinel feature a $57 option! power drivers seat. WG1....

These are the main ones. You have a pretty heavy example especially being a GN with 30lb wheels on each corner but lite weight bumper supports.

The twilite sentinel is very rare. Not something many performance owners went for in a turbo buick. More of a Caddy luxury feature.

At 85 codes its a fairly loaded example.

The printing is lite but if the code is correct C68 you got the touch climate control option that was not offered in 1987 models. Advise if you have this option?

Any errors I apologize its because printing is hard to see on my end. Your car was pretty expensive. If I had to guess $17,900 to $18,300 radio and T-Tops being two big options...

Comments welcome

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

If you have not posted your trunk ID label yet this is the thread to post it. We will tell you some of the highlights about it.

Going by memory this may be the first trunk ID label that has been posted in this thread, showing the twil light sentinel option.

kirban 2 cents worth

Now that we have viewed probably a dozen or more trunk ID labels n this post you can see certain patterns.

This has not come up yet but I know from experience, it will come up.

Having bought over 300 plus of these cars and probably turned down another 200 plus that I looked at over the years I key in on certain codes on the trunk ID label.

One being if they have the VD6 and VD 7 code...especially which ever code probably VD6 refers to the front bumper support.

Here is the reason why.

If the car has ever been hit in the front, usually means the front bumper has been replaced. if so, there is a good chance it may have a steel bumper support in its place. That means, you really want to look the front end over real good as the trunk ID code indicates a aluminum support not the steel one.....something 99% of the body shops would not have paid any attention to at the time repair work was done.

These cars seldom got bumped in the rear!

You can visually see the difference and if not a magnet will tell you. No one has responded back stating that indeed they have aluminum front and rear supports to back up the codes stating such.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Own a Hummer? Its value probably dropped 15-20% in trade value today with the annoucement a Chinese company s buying the brand from GM. My source tells me the company in China that bought it has copied with poor success some products made in the US in construction equipment only to have them fail in the field.

kirban 2 cents worth

Here is the question:

Its the early 1960s to mid 1960s.....I am thinking of a feature that was part of 99% of the performance cars during that time frame that you never see in any of the current muscle cars of today.

Here's my guess........... Drum brakes

a feature of old performance cars that isn't on cars of today?
carburetor(s) were in 99% of the performance cars, with the last 1% having mechanical fuel injection.

and my car still has both front and rear aluminum bumper supports.

Beings you say its a feature and not an option, I'm going to guess that it was common on more than one muslce car. And you say the time period is 60- MID 60s, my first guess, column mounted tach.

a feature of old performance cars that isn't on cars of today?

Over 400 Cu Inches of motor :biggrin:

Back