You can type here any text you want

The Only Grand National at Pinks All Out Bakersfield 2009

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Hey donnie it was nice seeing you and your car running again, its too bad your runs got cut short by the oil leak, did you ever find out what caused the leak or what was leaking?

Harold

It was coming from the back of the block.
Not the rear seal.
Not the galley plugs.
Not the valley oil suction line.
Block is OK.

What's left?

look what I found

found these on the camera, forgot I took any pics!

Attachments

• IMGP0001.jpg
    IMGP0001.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 651
  • IMGP0003.jpg
    IMGP0003.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 669
  • IMGP0004.jpg
    IMGP0004.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 666
It was coming from the back of the block.
Not the rear seal.
Not the galley plugs.
Not the valley oil suction line.
Block is OK.

What's left?

take a look at turbo inlet, you could be blowing oil into intake and under pressure it maybe coming out somewhere from the back of the intake,, just a thought.. that leak is pretty big that it should be easy to detect, good luck Don..

Cam plug popped. A relatively easy fix, thank goodness.

A cam plug retainer has been employed.

TA aluminum block? I would install a machined round flat aluminum disk and screw it to the two holes (if yours already has them from TA) on the back of the block with a little sealant to back up the cam plug.

TA aluminum block? I would install a machined round flat aluminum disk and screw it to the two holes (if yours already has them from TA) on the back of the block with a little sealant to back up the cam plug.
My block is a first generation block. It did not have any of those holes. I cut out a round disc of thin steel plate and used four 8-32 allen head capscrews to retain it to the block.

Don

do you need to check front of cam?
retention device on the front?
just a thought.

do you need to check front of cam?
retention device on the front?
just a thought.

The geardrive uses a needle bearing to control rearward thrust. If it has gone out there will be plenty of metal in the oil. I'll cut the filters open and check them.

The way they were moving the staging lanes, it didn't give much opportunity to push the car up through the lanes. I had to start the engine and run the engine for quite some time before my turn to make a pass. With the temp of the day, over 100F, the engine was getting pretty warm before the run. I think it was the last run the temp got up to 190 moving to 200 before I got her into the water box. The block being aluminum, the expansion from the higher than usual temp probably loosened the press fit on the cam plug, and the positive crankcase pressure helped in pushing the cam plug out.
I'll be adding another breather to the motor before the next time out with the car.

What is it running these days Don? Can't see the time.

John

The conditions of the launch that I used for this event made these two good runs I had even more amazing.

Since this was a pro light event (arm drop), I knew there wasn't going to be much opportunity to pre-spool the turbo or hit the nitrous before releasing the transbrake. Not the best way to launch a turbo car. My tight torque converter (2400 stall) made the prospect of a decent launch even more ridiculous.

All the delays were zeroed. I basically staged the car, went to WOT (2400 stall), and released the transbrake. The nitrous activated when the transbrake released. Absolutely no pre-spooling.
Let me make this clear. A destroked 224 Buick V6 running a 91mm/T6 turbocharger and a 2400 stall torque converter, leaving from the starting line from basically a dead stop!

This was the time slip from the video pass:
Him / Me
R/T .122 / .191
60' 1.435 / 1.690
330 4.088 / 4.412
1/8 6.336 / 6.451
MPH 109.01 / 121.26
1000 8.300 / 8.196
1/4 9.98 / 9.671
MPH 133.51 / 152.87

I have to say that I've done some drag racing sims on the car that suggested the car would mph at 155. But not with these kinds of incrementals. The best pass was the previous run to the videod pass. The mph on that run was 154.87 mph with a 1.666 60'. After readjusting the drag racing sim to mimic that particular pass, it showed that the hp required to pull that kind of a pass off, with the piss poor incrementals, required 1,130 peak bhp. :eek: The car amazes me again. It never stops. This is with small valve (original valve sizes that came with the heads) M&A heads, that had very dismal flow numbers. Peak flow by .600 lift being only 210. :eek: The cam profile and manifolding are doing something.

Oh! And the aux channel of the boost controller, which is setup to record manifold boost pressure, recorded a peak boost level of only 27.1 psi. The boost generally wandered between 26 to 27 psi. The pressure sensors I'm using for both channels on the boost controller (AMS1000) are the fancy ones. Not an OEM map sensor.

The oil looks great. With as hot as I was running the engine that weekend, the oil came out great. Fuel and water contamination from blowby evaporated away nicely.

Thanks for the compliment 278cikiller. Sitting still the car has quite a bit of rake to it. But under power going down the track, she levels out nicely.

Back