You can type here any text you want

The Right Tool to Retorque Heads

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

54Rich

Well, All I know is what I have does not work, so I'll have to buy something?

Engine is in the car, what is the magic tool combination to get to all the head bolts? Especially the pass side rear:confused:

Thanks

I wouldnt use a torque wrench with any kind of swivel on it if thats what you are thinking about, you wont get an accurate torque reading (you can prabably get pretty close FWIW) IMO. I'm not sure if you can fit a torque angle-meter in there or not, even if you could you have to find out what angle equals what torque. I'll be doing the same thing soon enough so i'm also curious to see what the answer is for the rear pass bolt.

I use a 1/2 inch drive click style that has never been abused and always put away with the handle backed all the way out. I use several different length extensions and a couple different sockets. I often remove the rocker arms to have enough room to swing the wrench. I can do both sides with stock valve covers in about 20 minutes. If the heater pipes need to be removed to get the passenger side cover off it takes me about an hour to do all of them.

I use a 1/2 inch drive click style that has never been abused and always put away with the handle backed all the way out. I use several different length extensions and a couple different sockets. I often remove the rocker arms to have enough room to swing the wrench. I can do both sides with stock valve covers in about 20 minutes. If the heater pipes need to be removed to get the passenger side cover off it takes me about an hour to do all of them.

Well my standard socket is too short and with my short extension it's too long:mad: 1/2 drive deep socket maybe? I hate to go by tools and then get them home and still have the same problem.

Thanks for the response, it seemed easier than it's turning out to be.

I'm not tring to hy-jack threads here, but I would like more input on this subject. Do exhaust manifolds have to come off? Also give us some more input on size of tools needed to make this task a little easier.

Thanks

Well my standard socket is too short and with my short extension it's too long:mad: 1/2 drive deep socket maybe? I hate to go by tools and then get them home and still have the same problem.

you make it sound like it's a bad thing to have to keep buying more tools..

you make it sound like it's a bad thing to have to keep buying more tools..

No I just hate to go and get the wrong one. I'm very good at buying tools:rolleyes: I was hoping that someone had that magic lenghts required, such as "Go buy a Snap-on #1234 and a Craftsman #1234 and your good.

So with what I bought I can get to all the bolts except the pass side lower rear. One is too short the other too long. I'll try to get the details of lenghts and what I'm using, but won't be until next week.

The exhaust manifolds can stay on, however, I found that the Felpro gasket flange had to bent out of the way on the bottom two.

No I just hate to go and get the wrong one. I'm very good at buying tools:rolleyes: I was hoping that someone had that magic lenghts required, such as "Go buy a Snap-on #1234 and a Craftsman #1234 and your good.

So with what I bought I can get to all the bolts except the pass side lower rear. One is too short the other too long. I'll try to get the details of lenghts and what I'm using, but won't be until next week.

The exhaust manifolds can stay on, however, I found that the Felpro gasket flange had to bent out of the way on the bottom two.
To many variations between cars to be able to say exactly what sockets to use. Engine mount variances and other interference items make things different car to car. No one wants to rec and then have someone else report back that the parts rec'd were a no go.

To many variations between cars to be able to say exactly what sockets to use. Engine mount variances and other interference items make things different car to car. No one wants to rec and then have someone else report back that the parts rec'd were a no go.

I'll take the chances and try what worked for you. I do realize that some things are different car to car than others. However I want blame whatever info you offer, as I do value your knowledge.

Thanks

I know that this is an old post, I was just doing some catching up..... For the passenger side head bolt that you are having problems with.....I use a 1/2" deep well socket that I modified. I cut off like 1/2" in its length and it fits fine. The problem was finding a socket who's inner bolt/nut area ran deep enough to still be able to fit on the bolt/nut, after I trimmed off the 1/2" or so. I don't remember exactly how long the deep well was after I trimmed it. You will just have to experiment on a couple of sockets till you get the right length. Hope this helps. :smile:

The socket I trimmed was some "Brand X" socket made in some distant land.

Back