Thermostat help

wish98was87

My 98 N/A regal has been dripping some coolant over the last few weeks. Thought nothing of it since its pretty old car so just added coolant as needed. Yesterday it was starting to overheat so I shut it down. Added some more coolant and it was a little better. Any ideas what it is? Only the lower hose on the passenger side seemed to have liquid around it. Could it be the thermostat? If so how much would it cost to replace and could I do it fairly quickly? I need the car its my DD. Thanks guys!

-Rich

Sounds like you need to have an experienced mechanic inspect your cooling system. What could be a relatively inexpensive problem like spending $100 to $200 to have someone replace a leaky water pump could turn in to a $1000 to $2000 repair from overheating the engine. The cooling system is definitely one area where an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Things that should be inspected: your water pump (they don't last forever), hoses (if they are puffy replace them), thermostat, and coolant. Take the cap off your radiator (when the motor isn't hot) and stick your finger in the antifreeze. Take a whiff, if it smells like gasoline or if you see a white foam in the neck of the radiator (oil contamination) you have a more serious problem.

bad news

Just heard back from the mechanic.. the head gasket went :( it had a slight leak in it for the past year or so but i guess it couldnt take anymore.. i guess ill be looking for a new DD.. if anyone has anything i need something reliable that runs strong in or around the long island NY area within hte next few days! thanks

-Rich

I have bought several NA series2 regals in my area after they were diagnosed as bad head gasket/cracked cylinder head by a tech - I actually prey on them:biggrin:

the thing is head gaskets or cracks are not common on a series2 3800 - especially without an overheating incident heck I have sprayed them with a .86 jet dry shot and cant lift a head ( around a 175 shot)

what is extremely common is bad intakes and or intake gaskets , remove the plenum and I bet you see coolant even with the top of the intake , or better yet pull the plugs and I bet all 6 are wet - ever see a head gasket soak all 6 plugs ?? neither have I but thats what I find everytime I buy a car diagnosed by a tech as bad head gaskets ;)

Excellent post Murph! They really should put a yellow zone on these water temperature gauges. Most people think they are OK if their engine overheats and they stay out of the red zone, but that is usually not the case. Personally I never operate an engine over 220F. And I avoid going over 210.

I posted it for sale in the non-buicks for sale (even tho it is a buick :rolleyes:) before I send it to craiglist or sumthin. I'm just lookin to get a little sumthin for it and I would rather see a fellow buick guy get it then be shredded. Thanks guys