You can type here any text you want

Thinking of buying a Turbo TA tell me what the negatives are

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

cottonpicker14

I have my eye on a real nice restored 89 Turbo TTA that has a number of modifications. The car was done right and I am not concerned that it is modified.
My concern is, what are the negatives to buying a TTA, meaning availabilty of parts. Are all parts available today ? What is the most common problems with these cars. My concern is, if something goes wrong with it, such as engine parts, tranny, rear etc, would I be able to get it fixed or are some parts not being made anymore or available.
Any other reasons NOT to buy one ?

Negatives:

- NO ONE makes radiator hoses for them. You have to cut and stuff GN ones in there to fit.

- Rough ride

- No backseat

- No trunk

- No recognition

- Numerous squeaks and rattles, like all F Body cars

- Tough to get in/out

OE rear is the weak part in the driveline if you race it hard and the T-Tops leak if you don't have good seals or treat the ones you have now....forget a drive through car wash! Other than that I think they are all that the TR's should have been; I've had both.

Originally posted by TT/A1233
Negatives:

- NO ONE makes radiator hoses for them. You have to cut and stuff GN ones in there to fit.

- Rough ride

- No backseat

- No trunk

- No recognition

- Numerous squeaks and rattles, like all F Body cars

- Tough to get in/out

- Johnsperformance has the radiator hoses

- The ride isn't that bad, typical sports car ride

- The backseat isn't that bad I've had pepole sit in my backseat, it's no family sedan but if you need to cram the people you can

- The trunk is decent you can''t go grocery shoping but hey I caried all of my cleaning supplies (about 4 crates) and a little luggage in it to the TA Nats

- Yes I will agree with the squeeks and rattles

- It is a little tought to get in and out if you typically have a hard time getting down low.

Some things that bother me (I'm picky about appearance):
- The front bumper and hood will spider crack pretty easily so when working on it try not to lean on them.
- Boost could potentially be more addicting than crack
- Leather cracks very easily if you don't keep it moist with saddle soap
- Watch the ttop seals and take care of them or else they'll crack and leak
- Font bumper scrapes very easily

Oh yeah I meant to say that those are just my opinions and htings I have experienced. Every car is different with it's problems. Also I grew up with Trans Ams, I'm 17 but my dad owns a 72 firebird and has since it was new and my mom had a 98 that we bought new and now my brother has it. It's just a car you have to get use to and once you do you'll love it.

only negative I ever had was "hey how the hell did you get that GTA to run so well !!"

Most people think your riding around a TPI 305/350 under the hood. Show em diffrent:D

Yes...

They're a typical F-body on Steroids.

ALL cars. ALL ALL ALL cars have issues.

I have an NSX, 355 Spyder, ZR-1, etc.

70Grand, 160Grand and 55Grand respectively.

ALL have issues. Want a LIST of issues NOT to own a Ferrari? Or an NSX??

You LOVE a car, and you then own it. You STILL love it.

Try spendin 160G's on a car that you can't drive more than 5000 miles total. Then you have a 10Grand service.

Sorry. But there's MANY reasons not to own ANY car.

Love this car for what it is and what it means to you.

BEST money I EVER spent. A PITA? Sure. But HAPPY to have it. Rare, fast. Bang for the buck? Good luck beating it!!

All have issues, but you'll LOVE this car.

Michael

Sorry for the 2nd reply...

Talk about pissed?? Try spending the coin for a 355F1 and having the TTA spank it all day long.

Originally posted by chicagoTTA
Sorry for the 2nd reply...

Talk about pissed?? Try spending the coin for a 355F1 and having the TTA spank it all day long.

first time i have seen/heard of a ferrari owner being so mean to their ferrari. 10grand for service? what kind of service?
i raced a 360 modena from a roll. it was a funny outcome. sucks to make those people feel bad about their purchase, but im sure he had a 9second chevelle back in the garage or something else. lol.

Well, we have no chance against a Ferrari at a track course, but straight forward are they not so special! 360 Modena does about 12.40 (on street tires), 355 is slower. Then we have thoose F40 and F50... but how common are they lol.

Daniel

Negatives: Thier values are in the Toilet compared to GN's and T's!

Ever wonder why Kirban NEVER Bought or sold any!! That being said, you can get real good deals on them right now!

Originally posted by chicagoTTA
Yes...

I have an NSX, 355 Spyder, ZR-1, etc.

Michael

Hey Michael,

Is your F355 yellow? I remember seeing one on my way home from work last summer near NW Highway and Ela...thought about missing my turn so that I could have a crack at it:D
It looked sweet..and the thought of actually having a chance to run one, let alone beat it..:cool:

A guy around here has an F40 that I've been trying to find out and about. Last year at a car show he parked next to me and we were giving each other crap all day. He finally agreed to run'em if the opportunity should present itself:) Actually a really cool dude...he races this thing at the Pikes Peak run every year. I'm pretty sure it made close to 600HP on my buddy's dyno last year.....that's enough to beat me, but it won't be by much...that ought to make him rethink the $460,000 purchase he made..hehe.

Originally posted by turbov6joe
A guy around here has an F40 that I've been trying to find out and about. Last year at a car show he parked next to me and we were giving each other crap all day. He finally agreed to run'em if the opportunity should present itself:) Actually a really cool dude...he races this thing at the Pikes Peak run every year. I'm pretty sure it made close to 600HP on my buddy's dyno last year.....that's enough to beat me, but it won't be by much...that ought to make him rethink the $460,000 purchase he made..hehe.

i was at the pikes peak hill climb last year and didnt see a F40. would be cool to see one runnning up a mountain.
are you talking about the pikes peak hill climb?

I'm not sure if he said he did it last year or not, I do know he said that he has done it in the past. This car has obvious road rash from being used, that makes it even more cool in my book!

I love mine :) No squeaks or rattles of any kind. I think if you beat on these cars at all or mod them in anyway your going to run into all the typical F body hates. The ride is a little hard but I've owned T/A's and IROC's in the past and it's no different. Boost does feel nice in them! And yes that nose will scrape on just about any curb! The value's are perfect right now. They will sky rocket in time so don't worry about that. I'm sure we'll be saying man I remember when I could get a low milage TTA for 10 to 15K! People don't notice you in them thinking it's just another white GTA but I think that's a good thing! :) One of the main negatives I think is the leather they used back in 89 was dog crap! But jacks seat covers has them! I got lucky and my bolsters are in great shape still. I've been using Lexol on them to keep them moist.

Question on the seals guys: What is good to use on them? I'd like to preserve and make them last a long time. Mine don't leak or drip a thing. I have no air sound inside my car and I want to keep it that way. Thanks! Good luck with it! :cool:

Philly

Sounds like are cars are twins. I dont have any squeaks or rattles either. The rear hatch sqeaked a little when I picked it up and I sprayed a rag with silicone, wiped them off and NO sqeaks.

The only bad thing is you will get a bad addiction,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,to boost:D

I also agree

the values right now are way low................In time they will steadily climb, mark my words. Especially the low mile origionals.

Back