THIS IS SO WEIRD, Can someone help me!

GNflyby

The Video Guy
Has anyone ever experienced this before? My car started smoking about a month ago. Mostly when I come to a stop. But lately I've noticed that if I make the turbo come on about three to four lights, the car doesn’t smoke, or it smokes very little when I come to a stop. I don’t know, but I think that maybe the problem may be with the turbo. Can anyone give me some feedback or your thoughts on this matter? Thanks in advance! :confused:

What color is the smoke? Is it only at idle? If it were the turbo dumping oil into the exhaust it would smoke a lot and all the time. The fact that it clears up when you spool the turbo probably means that it's not the turbo.

Jim

Originally posted by turbojimmy
What color is the smoke? Is it only at idle? If it were the turbo dumping oil into the exhaust it would smoke a lot and all the time. The fact that it clears up when you spool the turbo probably means that it's not the turbo.

Jim

It's like a white smoke, and if it's not the turbo, where should I look? Thanks. :)

Originally posted by GNflyby
It's like a white smoke, and if it's not the turbo, where should I look? Thanks. :)

I dunno - it depends on how much there is. It might be nothing. Typically white=water, blue=oil, black=fuel. If it just does it at idle it might not be anything at all. I'd worry if it did it off idle.

Jim

bad turbo seals smoke only at idle...........but if it is white, check for water in the oil (as in headgasket), but that would prolly smoke all the time

I had a problem with occasional smoke at idle for nearly a year. It would be fine, then I'd pull up to a traffic light and bam....smoke that disappeared when I got rolling again. Pull up to the next light and it was hit or miss whether it would do it again. Everyone told me not the turbo, because if it was the turbo it would smoke all the time. I changed the valve seals and even had the head gaskets changed at one point. The problem persisted. I finally sent the turbo out for a rebuild and the problem was solved and I haven't had the problem since.

I had the same problem a few years ago,smoke at idle then clear up when I started going.The turbo was leaking on the exhaust side,take off the exhaust housing on the turbo and see if any oil leaking.You may have to look into the turbo with a flashlight and probaly see "coked" up in there.Send it to John Craig at Limit Engineering.

GNflyby

Like everyone else stated, it is your turbo. The smoke only shows on deceleration I bet. It sounds like its not that bad yet, however it’s getting there. Drove my GN one summer with a bad turbo. Took the stock intercooler off many times that summer.