those with air compressors--

Buick From Hell

sixey
Staff member
WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DRAINED IT???

just a heads up! :)

I live in one of the driest states, and our air compressor takes on about a gallon of water a month!

Thanks for the warning.:) I'm going to do some painting this weekend and draining the compressor first sounds like a good idea.There's one less thing that could go wrong.:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Buick From Hell
WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DRAINED IT???

just a heads up! :)

I live in one of the driest states, and our air compressor takes on about a gallon of water a month!

Wow.. does it run constantly?

I had to replace the valve on the bottom of mine - the factory one frozeup and snapped. :mad:

/me WON'T buy another Craftsman compressor

Is it a screw compressor or a recip? It sounds like it is not getting hot enough to keep the moisture out of the oil. Unless you are talking about moisture in the tank. If you have 15% humidity and you compress the air to 125 psi (9.5:1 compression ratio) you end up with over 100% humidity. When the air is saturated, the moisture just falls out of the air.

Well, seems I fudged just a bit---I measured what I just dumped and it's closer to 1/2 gallon...AND it was more like 2 months ago since we drained it...(the air tank itself)

However, it DOES run A LOT, probably 15 times a day...it's great big Coleman we got from Sams club about a year ago, with an old fashioned 220v electric motor driving a twin-piston compressor, with pulleys & belts and EVERYTHING! (I have one of those noisy Craftsman compressors at home)

SuperSix, don't blame Craftsman for that broken valve, I broke the valve off the Coleman the day we bought it! Those valves ain't up to much in the first place... Best thing to do is pull the valve & all the valve reducers out, and replace those with the correct size galvanized nipple, an elbow, about 12" more nipple, and attach a quality ball-valve to THAT, just for a water drain!