You can type here any text you want

Ticking...I hope this is not expensive

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

John Wilde

I'm getting too old for this $#!%
Staff member
So I get into the car to drive home from work tonight and I notice a ticking...
I drive the car home (about 15 miles) and it seem to run a little warming going up the big hill.
Keep in mind it may be just that I never look at the temp going up the hill unless there is a reason to.

-The temp stayed under 190 and went as low as 171 on the way home. I did not notice and difference in idle quality or response.

-When I got home I checked the oil and it was clean and full.
This leads me to believe if it is a Head Gasket it must be minor.

-I turn the car back on and give it throttle.
The noise is effected by RPM.
It should not be a bottom end, the car is babied and has a stock turbo.

-The waste gate hose on the compressor housing is off and it very oily.
I wonder if the turbo took a dump on the compressor side?
That still does not explain the noise.

I tried to isolate the noise more and then my 3 year old came out.
Other than thinking it is coming from the front of the motor I could not narrow my target area.

What should I look for???
Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciate.

I am going to try and borrow a compression tester.
That should tell me if the Head Gaskets are bad.

Make sure you check your torque converter bolts. If those back out it will scare the hell out of you.

It would be fantastic if it was just the converter bolts.

Check for exhaust leaks. If the "ticking" noise is coming from the front of the engine, check the turbo flange and see if it's leaking. Also check around the headers to see if you've developed a crack that could be causing a leak.

Pinch off the PCV valve hose and see if you get smoke out of the breathers. This will help tell if you nicked a head gasket. Good luck.

Curious about this myself. My TTA has a ticking noise coming from the front of the motor after I have driven the car for awhile. Turbo flange where is that?

I would say bring it over with a 12 pack of beer and we would figure it out...but you live on the other side of the world lol.
Cold be anything. I'd start easy. Take off the serpentine belt and start It up. That would eliminate any accessories. Use some of the top end cleaner to smoke it out to look for exhaust leaks. Remove valve covers and make sure the rocker shafts are tight and don't have a cracked one. Compression check would be done in there somewhere also. Oil pressure look ok?

If the wastegate vacuum line came off...very possible it over boosted and blew the HG.

I would also be lead to believe it is an exhaust leak. Especially if they are stock ones that were never welded up :D Hope for that John!

Noisy cam sensor, or crank sensor? I had a cam sensor screw loosen up and it was just barely tapping an edge. Also had a crank sensor loosen up and start moving a bit, started touching the interrupter ring. Also had the IC fan start barely touching a bracket or back of the IC before. Good luck, hope all turns out well.

I would say bring it over with a 12 pack of beer and we would figure it out...but you live on the other side of the world lol.
Cold be anything. I'd start easy. Take off the serpentine belt and start It up. That would eliminate any accessories. Use some of the top end cleaner to smoke it out to look for exhaust leaks. Remove valve covers and make sure the rocker shafts are tight and don't have a cracked one. Compression check would be done in there somewhere also. Oil pressure look ok?

If the wastegate vacuum line came off...very possible it over boosted and blew the HG.

Thanks for the advice, I am going to look into what I can today.
I have a compression tester coming over in a little while.

This car is almost never floored, each time it is I check the scan tool.
The lowest O/2 readings were over 800 and with 0 KR.

BTW stock timing chain with 106K.

That could be your problem depending on how hard you drive the car. I had a ticking from mine with only 65k. I was at the track and getting crazy knock showing up on the scanner, yet I was running straight C16. Turned out my chain had stretched so much that it was slapping my timing cover. Changed it, and the tick went away.

Guys,

Here is a video with the noise:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceQMPNTE9Nk[/YOUTUBE]

Pretty sure that's not a hg or exhaust leak. Don't sound like a rod knock from my pc speakers either. Were the accessories disconnected? Almost sounds like upper valve train noise like a rocker arm. Have you removed a vc yet?

Kevin I could not get the belt all the way off and watch my son at the same time... A rocker shaft would sure be a cheap fix.

Kevin I could not get the belt all the way off and watch my son at the same time... A rocker shaft would sure be a cheap fix.

Only problem with the rocker arm theory is that it would have a bad miss,,,which it looks like it's running good.

Also...I hate to say it but I may take back the no rod knock . It's hard to tell with my sh!tty pc speakers though. When yu let off the throttle...it gets sloppy...kinda what rod knocks sound like in my experiences.

I pulled the belt and it is not in the accessories.
Why do I have a bad feeling it is a rod knock...
Could it still be the timing chain?

Dead lifter? My noise is similar but I don't think mine is as loud or affected by rpms.

Back