You can type here any text you want

Ticking...I hope this is not expensive

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Sounds like a rod knock to me, but my HP laptop has ****ty speakers. (thats my way out when it is a rock in the belt) LOL :eek:

John, from here kinda sounds like a rod, but I would pull of hte valve covers and check all out first.

I pulled the belt and it is not in the accessories.
Why do I have a bad feeling it is a rod knock...
Could it still be the timing chain?

Could be a chain if the tensioner fell off and there's no teeth left on the gear can you isolate it with a stethescope, or screw driver long preferably but it sure does sounf like a rod knock, what's the oil psi

To high pitched for a rod knock. If you don't have a roller cam I'd bet it's a rocker making the noise. Cam going flat. If you've got a roller then I'd bet on a bad shaft or damaged rocker.

Definitely not an exhaust leak. I'd be pulling the valve covers and running the valve train.

that sounds an awful lot like a rod bearing...

just did a jimmy that sounded just like that...

oil starved.

A.j.

just for the heck of it check your torque convertor bolts,i have had them loose sound totally like a rod knock

just for the heck of it check your torque convertor bolts,i have had them loose sound totally like a rod knock

The best feeling in the world is to look under the car and see a TC bolt has back out. :biggrin:

Seriously, when I had a loose TC bolt it sounded just like the vid. When you rev the engine it causes a slight flex and you get a variation in sound.

my engine made a sound like that, my problem was piston slap.
hope its not the same problem.

sounds like valve train, maybe a worn cam lobe or bent push rod or rocker hitting the valve cover?? take a valve cover off and check that stuff out. I just had the exact same noise on my new corvette motor and it was worn push rods. The engine shop said the rods must not have been forged well and that they wore the preload off and began to tick. It was 15 min to put new rods in and set the valves and tick was gone. cost me nothing. Hopefully your tick is an easy fix like mine.

Jarred.

15 minutes? Sounds like GM has gotten some new svc dept guys... Takes them 2 hours here to change oil. Joh, let me know if you need anything for the engine. I have a stock engine sitting on a stand

So I am confused.
I pulled the driver side valve cover at lunch.
it does not seem like a lot of oil is getting to the top of the motor in the back...

I have a feeling there is an oil pressure problem.
I will try and put a gauge on it this weekend.

Is there any reason to bother with pulling the driver side cover?

I would pull both just to be safe. If you VC's are close to the rockers, it could be tapping if say the shaft end was breaking and lifting up a bit. Doubtful since your car seems to be running smooth, but worth checking.

Any luck checking converter bolts? How's the oil pressure? Still good?

I have to put a oil gauge on the car.
The "dummy light" turns off as soon as the car starts and does not come back on.

x2

Diagnosed a friends Gn over here a couple years back. Same kind of noise. TC bolt loose.

I have to put a oil gauge on the car.
The "dummy light" turns off as soon as the car starts and does not come back on.

John, I think I still have a cheapy gauge from Autozone with plastic hose and fittings I use for priming to check pressure. I can send it to you if you need it. I am in San Diego so you might have it quick. Let me know, I will get it out to you.

I just came in from looking at the car.
Dr. Chow came over for a house call.
We looked and listened and reviewed the driver side valve train.
It looked normal, so we could not get any data from that side.
I suggested we try the Bermico test to isolate the problematic cylinder.
We started the motor with different spark plug wire unplugged until the noise
changed. In this case it almost completely went away on 3#.
At this point my prognosis is that the rod on number 3 is hurt.
I don't think it could still be the rocker shaft on the passenger side.
Is there any reason to even bother checking it?

BTW this happened 2 weeks after getting an oil change at a famous vendor that has a emblem much like ours...

Back