You can type here any text you want

Ticking...I hope this is not expensive

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
John, I think I still have a cheapy gauge from Autozone with plastic hose and fittings I use for priming to check pressure. I can send it to you if you need it. I am in San Diego so you might have it quick. Let me know, I will get it out to you.

BTW thanks for the offer, but at this point I am thinking the motor needs to come out...

A few years ago my wife had an engine that was destroyed by an oil change business. The guy putting the oil in the car accidentally broke a piece off the oil nozzle and it went into the valve cover. It didn't show itself until she was halfway in a 400 mile trip. The mechanic that did the inspection was able to identify the 1/2 inch piece. He took pictures and documented everything. This was a major chain and they replaced the engine after the piece was matched to their damaged oil filler nozzle. I don't blame anyone, just an accident. I still get the oil changed at Walmart. :)

A few years ago my wife had an engine that was destroyed by an oil change business. The guy putting the oil in the car accidentally broke a piece off the oil nozzle and it went into the valve cover. It didn't show itself until she was halfway in a 400 mile trip. The mechanic that did the inspection was able to identify the 1/2 inch piece. He took pictures and documented everything. This was a major chain and they replaced the engine after the piece was matched to their damaged oil filler nozzle. I don't blame anyone, just an accident. I still get the oil changed at Walmart. :)

i can understand it being an accident but it just worries me... thats why if its for my TB i try to do it myself or get someones help who knows these cars

John, any update? I know you are busy but was praying you would get ready to yank it and take it apart and find something else that is not such bad news. Wish I was closer, would love to be able to help. Had my dang motor out so many times I can do it in less than two hours by myself. :)

John, any update? I know you are busy but was praying you would get ready to yank it and take it apart and find something else that is not such bad news. Wish I was closer, would love to be able to help. Had my dang motor out so many times I can do it in less than two hours by myself. :)

None, I should have taken you up on the oil pressure gauge.
I have people swearing it is a rod and others saying it isn't...
Rocking the mini van now, but I leave my wife with the two children with out a car...

None, I should have taken you up on the oil pressure gauge.
I have people swearing it is a rod and others saying it isn't...
Rocking the mini van now, but I leave my wife with the two children with out a car...

PM me your address, it is all yours brother. I will get it out tomorrow morning. The old pull the "spark plug wire" test you did to narrow down the cylinder is always a good help in locating, but man it is hard to truly know until you start taking stuff apart. I know what you mean about being down to one car, hate that! Let me know what I can do to help.

Hey John,

dont know if it would work on our cars but...

I used to wrench on bikes, if i came across a bike that i thought had a spun rod bearing there was a easy way to check.

1. remove all plugs (makes turning engine over easier)
2. I would drop a skinny long screw driver (or 1/4" long extension) down the suspect spark plug hole.
3. then rotate the engine BY HAND watching screw driver go up, and then just after is starts going down stop
4. push on screw driver, if it feels like you just pushed the piston down with out rotating engine you have your answer, it worked for me every time, if screw driver moved i pulled engine and was never surprised by what i found (bad rod bearing)

this worked on all bike even Harley's, although with larger displacement it requires more force to push piston down, keep that in mind you might have to give it a good push.

hope it works and it helps

Dave

Dave, can I add "make sure you rotate engine over by hand, not using the starter"? :) I doubt anyone would, but you never know. :)

Never heard of that method, but it sounds pretty good to me!

pressure

How is your oil pressure hot and cold .? you can play around with thinner or thicker oil to find out if it is a rod nearing noise.

Guys, I need to get a gauge on it.
I am also going to try some thicker oil.

John, I think my oil pressure gauge is gone but I'll check. Let me know if you need some help. I'm sure we can get a few helping hands once we figure out what it is and get you back on the road. :)

Looked at it again today.
The noise does not seem like a rod knock.
It is the same rpm as the valvetrain.
Maybe flat cam, bad lifter or springs.

Sounds like its up top, a collapse lifter or wiped lobe I would pull the intake and check the lifters....

couldn't he just pull valve covers and watch the rockers as he rotates engine?

That would work for badly wiped lobe, but would not work to determine a bad burnt valve..a compression test would help determine a bad valve. My bet is still a top-end issue of some sort.

GC

Back