Timing chain help

Franks86gn

New engine build, I just put the Edelbrock 7829 on and there is tons of play. Do I need a shorter chain?

If you had caps installed and the block line bored you may need a shorter chain, mine did.

Yes I did. How do I measure for the correct chain length? Thanks

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I can't say exactly how to measure it but I would assume if .0025 of material was taken from the block side you would need a .005 under chain. I took a WAG at mine and the .005 under was perfect.

Where did you get your shorter chain? Do I have to buy a whole new kit or just the chain?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I bought the whole set about 5 years ago for $80.00 and it was a multi key billet Progear. You can buy undersized sets from most of the quality chain manufacturers but I'm not sure if it is just the chain that is undersized or the whole set.

Machinist said he took .005 off of the block saddle. I would've guessed more by how the 7829 set fit.
FWIW, I've searched and searched this forum for Timing set info and there's a lot of info and different opinions it's overwhelming.

I'm building this engine that will see mid 10 second passes. Should I stay with a double roller or stock style and use a new tensioner? If I use the double roller is 1/4" total slack okay?

Thanks!

I know what you mean about all of the choices. I would call Weber Racing, TA Performance & Full Throttle for advice. One of those 3 would for sure get what you need. My personal choice would be the TA_1523a from TA performance it comes in a few sizes. I could not tell you if I would use the Progear again until the motor comes apart again, some say that they are soft and tend to stretch (may be BS) but who knows with so many opinions out there.

Fwiw the chains are the same length. The cam gear is what varies in size.

Yea, I saw that during like hour 3 of my research on timing chains here. I'm surprised there isn't a nice clean write up on them. Anyways, I found the correct diameter cam sprocket and slack is under a 1/4" I'm running it. Thanks!