timing chain replacement

turk87

Tommorow I'm installing a new timing chain ,gears,water pump and hooking up a mechanical oil pressure guage.Can someone tell me if taking the drain plugs from either side of the block is a better way than risking antifreeze getting in the oil pan while removing the front cover. Also, when everything is back together can I unplug the orange ECM wire and roll the motor to prime the oil pressure (reading oil pressure guage).Will this work??? sorry 4 the long thread, I've been doing lots of reading but wasn''t sure.

Ron

dont know about the other stuff, but i know that after every oil change i unplug the ecm(orange wire) and crank the motor for about 30 secs to build pressure. ive never seen aproblem with it

Originally posted by turk87
Tommorow I'm installing a new timing chain ,gears,water pump and hooking up a mechanical oil pressure guage.Can someone tell me if taking the drain plugs from either side of the block is a better way than risking antifreeze getting in the oil pan while removing the front cover. Also, when everything is back together can I unplug the orange ECM wire and roll the motor to prime the oil pressure (reading oil pressure guage).Will this work??? sorry 4 the long thread, I've been doing lots of reading but wasn''t sure.

Ron

Change the oil now also and you wont have to worry about it, if any gets in the pan you would/will be draining it anyway. Small amounts would not hurt anything as engine heat would remove it anyway. Yes, with the orange wire disconnected you will not have power to the ECM so it will not run but your oil pump will. :)
Almost forgot, get an AC Delco PF52 filter, its slightly larger than stock and has the anti drain back valve in it. Good stuff.