You can type here any text you want

Timing Chain

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
I bet there are many more issues going on. Might be best just to pull it and check it all out.

I work with the po, he's going off of what the mechanic told him and said he does not remember buying a timing chain. I think he might have had a shady mech working on it. He doesn't work on cars (an IT guy). What the real issues are here I'll just have to keep digging and find out. They wanted him to rebuild it and that's why it was parked. My fingers are crossed it's something I can fix instead of rebuild.

Ultimately I'm in for a few more surprises I'm sure.

On the oil cavity, what am I looking for and how do I fix it?

Tad
87 GN
Sent from HTC Sensation

by 'oil cavity' do you mean the gear pocket in the timing cover? If so, and it's torn all to hell, you need a new cover. If the filter adapter swirled and the gears are worn, that 's a much less expensive fix.

by 'oil cavity' do you mean the gear pocket in the timing cover? If so, and it's torn all to hell, you need a new cover. If the filter adapter swirled and the gears are worn, that 's a much less expensive fix.

Oh, now I understand what you are saying. Oil pump cavity was fine, I used a melling oil pump rebuild kit and followed instructions given on the board all new Gaskets etc and a water pump for good measure. Took Friday off so hoping I can finish.

Tad
87 GN
Sent from HTC Sensation

Finally got this all back together and nothing leaks so far. New plugs, all new fluids, new battery. Tried to start it and all I get is it turns over than a pop (sometimes) that sounds like it is coming from the turbo and like the engine bogs down. Won't start.

I have a set of new plug wires coming in tomorrow since these are old to see if that helps with better spark.

Thoughts on what items I should ck?

Tad
87GN
Sent from Xoom

Did you pack the oil pump gears & gear pocket area with vaseline & re-prime the oil pump? You'll need an oil pump priming tool & will have to re-set the cam sensor afterwards.
"Just saying"

Did you set the cam sensor correctly?

I did pack the oil pump and also primed it. But i didn't set the cam sensor.

Never done that, pointers?

Sent from my HTC Sensation using TurboBuick mobile app

Thanks, I just bought this tool but will search on it to see if I can get it started this weekend and when the tool comes in use it to lock it in perfectly.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Ok folks, thanks for getting me to this point. I got the cam sensor set, car started.

It starts rpms get to about 1500 seems smooth then it dies. It's consistent start and shutdown and I can keep it running for a short while pressing the gas, but very ruff as I press the gas trying to keep it going. Any thoughts on what to check?

Tad
87GN
Sent from Xoom

Have no clue, I was told it was an old kenne bell chip.

Tad
87GN
Sent from Xoom

I had left the intercooler and maf hose off, hooked up the maf hose and it idles up to about 2k for a bit longer and starts to die and I tap the gas and can keep it running. I'll hook everything back up in the morning and see how it does. :-( learning experience.

Tad
87GN
Sent from Xoom

were you trying to run it with the throttlebody open to the atmosphere and the intake tract incomplete?

Why in the world would you try and make the car run right when it's not fully assembled? So when you revved up the engine, the MAF couldn't report the additional air? Did I follow your description right?

These engines are extremely finicky when everything is right. Hell, GM couldn't even use a wing nut on the stock air filter because the final orientation of the 'wings' would screw with the MAF readings.

Yea I get that now, honestly I was impatient and just wanted to see if it ran. I'm getting to know this setup everyday. I'm used to old muscle cars and carbs. This is my first turbo car so I've got a ways to go and I keep studying.

Tad
87GN
Sent from Xoom

Yea I get that now, honestly I was impatient and just wanted to see if it ran. I'm getting to know this setup everyday. I'm used to old muscle cars and carbs. This is my first turbo car so I've got a ways to go and I keep studying.

Tad
87GN
Sent from Xoom
Damn, Im glad Im not the only one lost in the old muscle car wilderness.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Back