timing

nu2gn

fasteddie
i have a question on timing, do i need to use a timing light when moving the cam sensor or can i see it in the scanmaster? its a dumb question but i have never timed one of these engines, i have worked on mercedes car for ten years but not on gns. i want to see if messing with timing helps me with my hesitation on acceleration, feels like it wants to die if i want to punch it from a dead stop. it has a reds 93 chip installed.

You cannot manipulate timing with the cam sensor cap. That cap is for injector timing, engine timing is controlled by the ECM. Tip in throttle response can be a whole huge list of other things. If the cap is out of spec (fooled with) the engine won't fire.

IIR, base timing is controlled by the ECM, advance may be controlled/adjustable through your chip. You can verify base timing by putting the car in field service mode and it will lock the base timing at 15 degrees, which you can verify on the timing tab with your timing light.

i only have a code for wastegate solenoid, but i don't know if it has to do with reds chip, it holds boost pretty well. i personally think that this chip maybe in question. so if i need to mess with timing does the ecm need to be programmed or can i get a different chip that already has it? like i said have been working on german cars for ten years, gns are more difficult for me due to lack of knowledge.

It reads like you have a "tip in" issue. And I think you are barking up the wrong tree with the cam sensor and or timing issue.

Your wastegate code is probably because it's unplugged or missing alltogether.

Have you already ran through the basics?

Do you have a scanmaster in the car?

Could just be a matter of a few adjustments but doubt it's the cam sensor.

Post your #s motor warm at idle.

P.S. I'll be in the garage most of the day pulling my motor. If your in the area or would like to stop by, I can take a look for you.

i do have a scanmaster, will be hooking it up this coming week. i did set the cam sensor properly using caspers tool. i test fitted a air mass sensor and tps, but same result. i am hoping to have a free saturday this month to see if i can take it to someone in the chicago area to have it tuned.