You can type here any text you want

Tips and Tricks: Showing Your TTA

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

72firebird

I know that we've had these before but I have noticed a lot of new people and therefor more useful inputs. I think a lot of us are not only into going fast but also looking good. So post little tricks you have found to keep your TTA looking good or just good for the show. Anyways heres the tricks I have learned over the last year that I have owned my TTA.

1. Set all hose clamps facing the same way in the same position (screw part up and to the left is what I use and then the MAF pipe I use up and foward)

2. Wheels are a big exterior appearance feature. TTA wheels are hard to keep clean and looking good. For the center just use water and cuetips for the centers. It's time consuming but you'll understand why when you're done.

3. Adding more for the wheels, try the new power ball from Mothers and some NXT wax or your preference on the lip. It'll bring the shine back but if you have imperfections in them they'll stand out more. I just did this a few weeks ago and liked the results. I also made a cardboard piece to fit down in the wheel to cover the gold part.

4. Final for the wheels, the center cap turns. Small small detail but makes a big difference turn the cap so you can read the WS6.

5. Clean windows helps make a car stand out. Now smears or finger prints shows the interior better.

6. Under the hood I started to disassemble pieces such as the parking lights and cleaned and waxed the black piece and got down on the frame rail on the passenger side. If you do this once and just keep it mantained it'll stay looking good.

7. For those now going for the stock look using some steel wool on the steel lines for AC, fuel, and coolant ot bring them to a shine is a nice touch. I use Wizard products to keep them shinning. Just step down through the steel wools until you get the shine desired. Little time is necessary to do this. I think I did all my line in like 4 hours. If you have time you can try the AC condesnor but it requi=res more mantaince.

8. The inner fender liners get dirty easily. I used a little purple power that I diluted a little with water then sprayed them down and wiped it off.

Those are all I can think of right now. Post up your suggestions and help the rest of us out.

Well getting ready for the TA Nats and there is a show in Dundee, MI called the Great Lakes Firebird Gathering. It's the first year and I'll be heading out for there this Friday. Hopefully I'll see some TTAs there and maybe get a few more of them on the board.

Be careful if you want to be in the stock class at TA Nationals. The polished
AC lines look super but get the wrong tech line judge and you could find yourself in the light modified class. :mad:

The rims are hard to clean! I found a small brush at Pep Boys that has like 3 prongs on it. Hard to describe but works nice on the rims fits in the smallest of the holes. I just spray them down with quick detail, brush, and run a microfiber towel in them. Does take time but they look good.

For the interior I use lexol on everything. Works nice on the dash. You just have to buff it well with a good microfiber towel. Gives it a nice sheen.

I do the steel wool on all the lines under the hood with some of that never dull wadding. Picked up some small detail brushes.. spray quick detail all around and scrub with the brushed. That quick detail spray can be used on allot of things as long as it's not to greasy.

I'm having a hard time finding something that shines the tires up nice without flying all over the car. I use a foam applicator to apply the different tire shine products I've used but I always find all these black dots all over the car when I get home. Easy to wipe off the car but a pita.

One big thing most people miss is to vaccum the car! And vaccum it good! Amazing when I look at the drivers floor matt at cars at shows and it's filthy! I bought a cheap tan rubber matt to put there. When I get to a show I take it out and stick it under the car or under the seat.

Didn't know about the center caps I'll have to try that at the next show! :D

For the tire shine Dupont makes a tire shine that works great. I had the same problem as you but with the dupont spray I spray it on a towel really heavy and then wipe it on the tire. As long as it sits for I think an hour it actually soaks into the tire and doesn't get all over. Plus they'll stay shiny for a few weeks. Probably the best tire shine I have ever used.

For the thing with the lines and at the TA Nats, it's true it will take you out of stock class. If you don't do it a whole lot where they really shine and just clean them a little you should make it by fine. Last year I made it through with a painted heat shield and some shiny bolts for the heat shield cover. I was kind of pushing it with just that. I have seen guys be put in lightly modified for really little things like my brother with his 98 was almost put in it just for painted brake calipers however since it was his only mod they decided to be generous.

Oh yeah I just remembered a few things I leaned last year. Make sure your steering wheel is straight and set your seatbelts so they lay flat against the seat and they're not twisted. Also try to make the driver and passenger seat appear to be in the same position. For floor mats I have one set I put in for shows and strictly for that and then another that I drive with.

For shows liek the TA Nats trophies and plaques are a horrible idea. The judges hate them and will count you down for the inconvenience. You can put them out on the nonjudging times but put them in a nother vehicle when being judged. I talked with my judge last year afterwards and he told me that he feels the reason someone wants trophies out is to cover little blemishes in the car.

Lets try to keep this going and maybe in a week or two I'll make a full list in a new thread that we could possibly get put in the FAQs. Lots of us like to show our TTAs because of how unique they are and many enjoy the positive comments at shows.

Can you give me more info on this tire shine? Don't know if I've seen anything like that? Got a part number or web site for it? I'd love to try it!! :cool:

phillyturbosix said:
Can you give me more info on this tire shine? Don't know if I've seen anything like that? Got a part number or web site for it? I'd love to try it!! :cool:

You and Nwarky with your links. Just kidding but here's there website ad for it http://www.autobarn.net/tetish22ozby.html I refuse to use anything else besides for this now. I think I found mine at Advance Auto.

Back