to brake.... or not to brake......

323GTX

Hi,

I would like somebody to clear up the braking system break-down for me if you could.

I owned 3 Regals.........

84 T-Type, loaded, blue on blue, astroroof, hot-air (hydro I think)
86 limited, loaded, white on burgandy, V8 (normal brakes)
87 T, burgandy on burgandy, V8 (normal brakes)

all 3 were nice cars!

Here is my question.............

I have come to learn that many people are not very pleased with the braking systems on these cars.

The way I understand it is...........

1) 84 turbo cars has a system where it got it's power from the power steering location and ran off a pully correct? Called hydroboost? And this system is actually pretty decent as far as performance & reliability?

2) 85-87 turbo cars had the junk system where the system was powered of an electric motor? This is the system that everyone hates? Same system found on the late 1980's Olds Trofeo's? Master cylynder cost $900?

3) I read here & there people mentioning......... "upgraded to the XXXXX system that actually stops the car"

So what system are they talking about??? I'm guessing they removed the electric set-up I mentioned in #2. Did they put on the 84 set-up? Or a different set-up?

Thanks in advance.

(this subject has been bugging me for some time)

most likely, they are are talking about converting to vaccuum brakes(which i will be doing this week). the one on the 86-87 is called the powermaster, a.k.a. powermonster. it was and still is a piece of sh*t. if you need more info on the vaccuum brakes and how to convert the car over, you can do a search on here about vaccuum brakes here, or look on www.gnttype.org for the entire procedure on how to do it. good luck and hope this helps.

Thanks for the info!

the one on the 86-87 is called the powermaster, a.k.a. powermonster. it was and still is a piece of sh*t.

You mean 85-87 had the powermaster. (electric)

What about the 84 system? (a.k.a. tow truck style)

I myself liked it, and would like to hear a technical side of the 84 system from somebody who knows their chit.

The Hydroboost system is still around !! It's used on Ford's Superduty Power Stroke (turbo charged) diesel trucks (F250-F550, and Excursion)

:D